S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

J's racing Carbon Air Duct or Tsuchinoko Intake Sy

Old 04-03-2007, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post J's racing Carbon Air Duct or Tsuchinoko Intake Sy

I'm looking to buy an intake for my s2 but not sure which one the get: J's Racing Tsuchinoko Intake System (have the cut the brand new hood) or J's Racing Carbon Air Duct (which goes into the stock airbox). Does anybody know if there a huge difference in the HP gain between the two....Thanks
Old 04-03-2007, 06:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe you need to modify the Tsuchinoko to make it fit '06. Personally I would just get the duct as I'm not convinced intakes will really make any power.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:50 AM

there's also a slight price difference. I havent heard of considerable gains through just an intake. Sound -- yeah. power -- not likely
Old 04-03-2007, 06:53 AM
Former Sponsor

If your getting any of the two J's system don't expect 'sounds' as one of the reasons to get it. Get a intake with an open filter element like AEM, INJEN, K&N. The J's intake sounds like stock (which is you can't hear it).
Old 04-03-2007, 07:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

isn't that intake extremely expensive? Although it does give a bit better gain than other intakes. You can get some nice replica CF air ducts for a lot less than the J's too. I say its better to spend your money elsewhere considering the price to performance gain for these mods.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow_S2K,Apr 3 2007, 06:53 AM
The J's intake sounds like stock (which is you can't hear it).
Sorry but that's not true. Tsuchinoko sounds louder than stock - I would say a little less than AEM - as its airbox is from carbon and it's thinner than OEM's thick plastic.
I know it costs a lot for an intake but it sounds great and it's ok for long trips - not obnoxiously loud. From the 3rd gear and on, the car pulls great as the outside fresh air is "compressed" into the Tsuchinoko
Carbon doesn't get warm from the engine as much as plastic and fresh air travelling through it's duct cools up sooner. Not to mention it's great for bling factor

The intake you are probably reffering to, is Gruppe-M
Old 04-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Former Sponsor

The sound MIGHT be louder then stock, but if your getting a intake based on sound this intake is not worth it. AEM and those other intakes have a very distinct and loud sound which sounds GREAT in VTEC. The J's intake is comparable to stock maybe a tad bit louder. Now if you have an aftermarket exhaust it will over power the J's intake sound for sure.

If you plan on getting an aftermarket exhaust stick with a cheaper intake like K&n or AEM. You will still be able to hear the sound of the intake in WOT.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Psilos,Apr 3 2007, 09:23 AM
The intake you are probably reffering to, is Gruppe-M
No he's talking about J's. If you don't consider $1K+ for an intake a lot then you must be doing better than I am. The Gruppe-M or ASM are just
Old 04-03-2007, 12:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Psilos,Apr 3 2007, 12:23 PM
Carbon doesn't get warm from the engine as much as plastic and fresh air travelling through it's duct cools up sooner.
Are you sure about that?
Old 04-03-2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by TrackStar,Apr 3 2007, 12:13 PM
Are you sure about that?
I would say CF and Plastic conduct about the same amount of heat. I would rather have either one than metal though .

The J's complete system will probably make about the same HP as the snorkal with a high flow filter, but throttle response should be better with the J's system due to having stored air available as soon as throttle is pressed.

Quick Reply: J's racing Carbon Air Duct or Tsuchinoko Intake Sy