S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

J's Intake Dyno Data? Yes I've searched.

Old 01-09-2006, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J's Intake Dyno Data? Yes I've searched.

I've been looking for hours for a J's intake dyno. It is a nice looking intake but the thing is UBER expensive for an unproven part. Are there any actual dyno's for this thing or what??? It's just weird how there seems to be alot of you who buy the intake but haven't got the numbers to back it up. Anyone?

Otherwise I'll just go with a K&N.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:32 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what number would justify it? Do you expect to get 30hp out of an intake? Do you expect to get 5hp? It's an intake, you aren't getting much period.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by turbo_pwr,Jan 10 2006, 03:32 AM
what number would justify it? Do you expect to get 30hp out of an intake? Do you expect to get 5hp? It's an intake, you aren't getting much period.
This is an S2000, not a Viper. I know that these intakes make less than 10HP. But with the J's intake being over a grand, it'd better at least outperform a $200-300 AEM or K&N intake.

Or is the J's intake a completely "bling bling" mod that is done for the looks and being able to say that you have a $1000 JDM intake.

I'm trying to be a bit more practical with the $ per HP spent on the car. And bling doesn't hurt either, but I cannot justify $1000 on it for that reason alone. If there is data to back it up then I'd certainly go for it. I'm completely sold on the J's header. It is $$ but I'd rather spend $1200 on a header that actually makes more power than a Mugen or Toda header.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:58 AM

Since the J's Intake is carbon the temp of the air drops significantly which brings gains. BUT the J's Intake works even better, the more the air speed is increasing. I would like to see dyno charts with the air speed at 150kms and more. Am sure the dynochart would be completely different than 60kms for example.

Also the air would already be pressed in the intake and the response would be significantly improved.
In real life (driving) I can see a lot of power once I shift into 3rd gear. My S2000 compared to stock pulls harder and the gap increases to my favour.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:43 AM
Community Organizer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What about comptech?
Old 01-11-2006, 05:43 AM

The problem about dynoing these CAI's is that you cannot get the full effect of the intake dynamics on a dyno. These pieces perform best when at speed. As for any intake on the S2000 you will probably see 2-5 hp gain. You do not get an intake on the S for hp you get it for throttle response and to improve the temp of your intake charge.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by ImportSport,Jan 11 2006, 06:43 AM
The problem about dynoing these CAI's is that you cannot get the full effect of the intake dynamics on a dyno. These pieces perform best when at speed. As for any intake on the S2000 you will probably see 2-5 hp gain. You do not get an intake on the S for hp you get it for throttle response and to improve the temp of your intake charge.
So throttle response is a big issue. I understand now. I like the way your J's intake looks, but I'm just gun shy about the money because a grand is a lot of money for an intake when the AEM is 1/5 the price.

So would you say that it was money well spent? No regrets?
Old 01-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Former Moderator

it's personal preference, if you want the CF spend the money, if you don't care the AEM/Injens do the same job. More chance of hydrolock with the latter though. Comptech is a middle ground, some CF bling, less chance of hydrolock.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by currencivic,Jan 11 2006, 04:34 PM
So throttle response is a big issue. I understand now. I like the way your J's intake looks, but I'm just gun shy about the money because a grand is a lot of money for an intake when the AEM is 1/5 the price.

So would you say that it was money well spent? No regrets?
after going a few different routes....I realized it was worth it...you won't regret it, that is for sure