S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

J's Header Install on 06 AP2

Old 05-26-2006, 12:34 PM
zyr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J's Header Install on 06 AP2

I just bought a J's header for my 06 ap2. I read xviper's install and it seemed very straight foward.. but Greg (webestore) told me that I need to hoist the engine and remove a mount? can anyone else clarify what exactly is involved? I know that each header is different (some can fit in from the top) so I would really like a person with experience installing a J's header on an AP2.

Thanks!

*EDIT*

I installed the header today with minimal difficulty. I followed xviper's instructions and it went fine. Total time was about 3 hours.

Heres the steps I used.

jack up the car at LEAST 1.5 feet as you will need clearance to get the header out and the new one in.
remove heatsheild
remove the header nuts
remove the cat bracket
unbolt the cat from the oem header
slide the oem out from the bottom
put the j's in from the bottom (I did this without removing the engine mount. Have a buddy pull from the top as you push from the bottom.)
reinstall everything and your done!

I did notice that the bracket would not fit on the cat after the J's was installed.

Impressions: I noticed a little more power downlow but not so much up top.. I still have my cat and OEM exhaust so thats probably whats restricting the power.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:55 PM

Wow, that seems pretty involved for just a header install.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:51 PM

I just put the J's header on my AP2. You can not install the header without loosening the passenger side motor mount. It is not difficult to do. Just put a piece of wood on your jack stand and push up against the oil pan. Then you can loosen the bolts for the motor mount. There are 4 on the block and two on the bottom of the mount).

When you are putting the header in, make sure to have the motor mount installed but as loose as possible. PM me your number if you need more help... I suck at typing... and details.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed mine yesterday, but it was on my AP1. I took the Stock header out from the bottom, and put the J's in from the bottom as well. We tried to get it in/out from the top but the tranny mount was just in the way. Wish I could be of more help, but loading/removing from the bottom isn't too bad. Just make sure you have a friend up top helping to guide it through, as it isn't just a "take it out easily" affair. After you unbolt from the cat, angle that part towards the drivers side and then wiggle it through.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:52 PM

and also... who is your avatar
DAAAAAYYYYUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
Old 05-26-2006, 05:59 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I would think that all headers could be installed the same way. From the bottom. if you can get the car 12" off the ground, you should be able to remove and reinstall the new header from the bottom.

I have installed and removed OEM, Rick's and Mugen headers this way.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:00 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Oh and for the record, the AP1 and AP2 motors share the same block. So the space is the same from one car to the next to work with.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have pulled out a mugen headder from the top and put it in too. the stock has to come out from the bottom.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:02 PM
zyr

Originally Posted by RWD_RCKT,May 26 2006, 05:52 PM
and also... who is your avatar
DAAAAAYYYYUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
song hye kyo

thanks for the advice... I will attempt the install sometime this week
Old 05-27-2006, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Stratocaster,May 26 2006, 05:59 PM
I would think that all headers could be installed the same way. From the bottom. if you can get the car 12" off the ground, you should be able to remove and reinstall the new header from the bottom.

I have installed and removed OEM, Rick's and Mugen headers this way.
I had a Mugen on my AP1 and could install it without removing the motor mount. It scratched up the valve cover a little, but it was easy with some "finesse."

With the J's on my AP2 no way in hell I could do it without removing the motor mount.

No idea if AP1 vs AP2 makes a difference (I don't think they do), but I do know that the secondaries on the J's header are much longer and the piping is a bigger diameter than the Mugen. I think that is the issue.

Quick Reply: J's Header Install on 06 AP2