S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I've got a problem

Old 11-25-2000, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After removing the windshield tape, there are scratches all underneath where the tape was. Now I know the dealership's not at fault, but someone's gotta take the blame. I know that I removed it correctly, I movedly slowly to be sure it came off correctly. I'm going to try some Zaino Z-5, and see how it looks after...then I'll decide what to tell my dealership. Does anyone have any suggestions otherwise?
Old 11-25-2000, 03:58 PM

wow - that is a difficult one to solve...makes me glad that i didn't take the tape off mine - I guess you could tell your dealer that the tape started to peel...
Old 11-25-2000, 04:00 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

I would never want to do it, but i think the tape can be re-installed (you didn't ruin it taking it off did you )

Just kidding about that... you would have to buy new tape, but..??

either way goodluck

scot
Old 11-25-2000, 04:23 PM

not to rain on the new car parade... but why is this the dealers fault? Seems they delivered the car with tape and will deny any claims to make the paint under the tape pretty...

Old 11-25-2000, 05:25 PM

Like I said, it wasn't the dealership's fault...but someone has to take the blame for the car not being in perfect shape.
Old 11-25-2000, 05:32 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Jay,

I don't think Honda has ever endorsed the removal of the windshield tape. Some people have chosen to go ahead with it but as far as I can tell it's an at your own risk type of modification. I don't think you can hold anyone else but yourself responsible if the results aren't as you desire.
Old 11-25-2000, 06:53 PM

Sorry, Jay. I haven't heard of anyone else here having that problem. My tape came off in bits and pieces, but the paint underneath it was fine. Good luck with your fix.
Old 11-25-2000, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jay, I thought I found a few scratches in my new S2K before I took delivery, but they were all adhesive from the plastic covering that protects the paint during shipping.

Hmmmmm "Plastic covering during shipping..." Too bad they don't offer factory installed Stongard as an option!

Anyway, perhaps your "scratches" will come off with Z5 or even soap and water.

Best of luck to you.

By the way, I have a linear scratch on the left kick panel that looks white and is just in the clear coat as far as I can tell. I think it is from when I let my brother in law drive the car last week. Oh well, we had a blast and he really appreciated the chance so I'll live with that scratch.

If you can't fix the scratches yourself you basically have two choices: live with it or have a great body shop fix it. Either will work. Just balance cost (I bet about $250 to $300) vs. benefit. Take your time to decide because you are sure to get more scratches over time and those few will disappear in importance.

Barry
'01 #52

[This message has been edited by Barry WY Silver/Black '01 (edited November 25, 2000).]
Old 11-25-2000, 09:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

I was browsing around the Honda parts catalog and it looks like you can replace the tape.

David
Old 11-25-2000, 09:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strike, I beg to differ. At least on Mr Pig's white S2000, the frame tape was off at delivery. That is what prompted me to take mine off...

I have a blemish or two under there, but it wasn't a big deal. I don't know who took the tape off of Mr. Pig's car, but someone did. Dealer? Factory? Who knows...?

But yes, the three pieces of tape are available and can be had for about 100 bucks for all three, at least that is what I remember.

Jay and I IM'd about this before, I'm totally bummed out for you over that. I hope it's resolved soon to the best of your satisfaction...

And don't forget all those black S2000's that have no tape at all...that's got to be of some kind of relevance...

Quick Reply: I've got a problem