S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Invidia test pipe?

Old 08-11-2007, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Invidia test pipe?

I had my J's racing header and the test pipe installed couple days ago, im still using the stock exhaust, and i personally think this combo is pretty good, i gained a little low end power and pretty much high end power, i can feel the vtec pulls harder than b4.

But i'm wondering why my car's emission smells so bad now, somethin like a car is warming up in the morning. Is it because i took out the cat?? I guess i couldnt pass smog check anymore right?? heh, on more question, is the J's racing header and the test pipe illegal in SoCal?? Thanks...

Lap1
Old 08-11-2007, 11:25 PM

Yes. Just bolt up your cat when you have to go in for emissions testing.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:31 PM

Test pipe illegal, Yes.
Pass smog, No.
Cause of smell, Test Pipe.

Here is a little info on what a cat does;

Most modern cars are equipped with three-way catalytic converters. "Three-way" refers to the three regulated emissions it helps to reduce -- carbon monoxide, VOCs and NOx molecules. The converter uses two different types of catalysts, a reduction catalyst and an oxidation catalyst. Both types consist of a ceramic structure coated with a metal catalyst, usually platinum, rhodium and/or palladium. The idea is to create a structure that exposes the maximum surface area of catalyst to the exhaust stream, while also minimizing the amount of catalyst required. There are two main types of structures used in catalytic converters -- honeycomb and ceramic beads. Most cars today use a honeycomb structure. The Reduction Catalyst
The reduction catalyst is the first stage of the catalytic converter. It uses platinum and rhodium to help reduce the NOx emissions. When an NO or NO2 molecule contacts the catalyst, the catalyst rips the nitrogen atom out of the molecule and holds on to it, freeing the oxygen in the form of O2. The nitrogen atoms bond with other nitrogen atoms that are also stuck to the catalyst, forming N2. For example:

2NO => N2 + O2 or 2NO2 => N2 + 2O2
The Oxidization Catalyst
The oxidation catalyst is the second stage of the catalytic converter. It reduces the unburned hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide by burning (oxidizing) them over a platinum and palladium catalyst. This catalyst aids the reaction of the CO and hydrocarbons with the remaining oxygen in the exhaust gas. For example:

2CO + O2 => 2CO2
But where did this oxygen come from?

The Control System
The third stage is a control system that monitors the exhaust stream, and uses this information to control the fuel injection system. There is an oxygen sensor mounted upstream of the catalytic converter, meaning it is closer to the engine than the converter is. This sensor tells the engine computer how much oxygen is in the exhaust. The engine computer can increase or decrease the amount of oxygen in the exhaust by adjusting the air-to-fuel ratio. This control scheme allows the engine computer to make sure that the engine is running at close to the stoichiometric point, and also to make sure that there is enough oxygen in the exhaust to allow the oxidization catalyst to burn the unburned hydrocarbons and CO.

In order to reduce emissions, modern car engines carefully control the amount of fuel they burn. They try to keep the air-to-fuel ratio very close to the stoichiometric point, which is the calculated ideal ratio of air to fuel. Theoretically, at this ratio, all of the fuel will be burned using all of the oxygen in the air. For gasoline, the stoichiometric ratio is about 14.7:1, meaning that for each pound of gasoline, 14.7 pounds of air will be burned. The fuel mixture actually varies from the ideal ratio quite a bit during driving. Sometimes the mixture can be lean (an air-to-fuel ratio higher than 14.7), and other times the mixture can be rich (an air-to-fuel ratio lower than 14.7).
The main emissions of a car engine are:

Nitrogen gas (N2) - Air is 78-percent nitrogen gas, and most of this passes right through the car engine.
Carbon dioxide (CO2) - This is one product of combustion. The carbon in the fuel bonds with the oxygen in the air.
Water vapor (H2O) - This is another product of combustion. The hydrogen in the fuel bonds with the oxygen in the air.
These emissions are mostly benign (although carbon dioxide emissions are believed to contribute to global warming). But because the combustion process is never perfect, some smaller amounts of more harmful emissions are also produced in car engines:
Carbon monoxide (CO) - a poisonous gas that is colorless and odorless
Hydrocarbons or volatile organic compounds (VOCs) - produced mostly from unburned fuel that evaporates
Sunlight breaks these down to form oxidants, which react with oxides of nitrogen to cause ground level ozone (O3), a major component of smog.

Nitrogen oxides (NO and NO2, together called NOx) - contributes to smog and acid rain, and also causes irritation to human mucus membranes
These are the three main regulated emissions, and also the ones that catalytic converters are designed to reduce.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by frofro24,Aug 11 2007, 11:31 PM
Test pipe illegal, Yes.
Pass smog, No.
Cause of smell, Test Pipe.

Here is a little info on what a cat does;

Most modern cars are equipped...........................
Thanks for the info!! Heh, didnt expected to be so detailed, thanks a lot tho...
Old 08-12-2007, 01:20 AM

oh yeah... if i got pulled over by cops, how much is the fine for not having the cat??
Old 08-12-2007, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by xxlap1xx,Aug 12 2007, 05:20 AM
oh yeah... if i got pulled over by cops, how much is the fine for not having the cat??
They will most likely not notice it.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by KstreetDC,Aug 12 2007, 10:38 AM
They will most likely not notice it.
Our cars are so low that it would be hard to visually see it. And if Mustangs and F-bodies can get away with open pipes on a v-8, we should be good. My exhaust is actually quieter in the lower rpm band with the test pipe on vs. just the cat-back on. Now, VTEC is definitely a different beast with the test pipe installed. I would never go back! lol ....And if they ever bring back emissions here in ohio, I have the cat laying around for a quick 20 min. change lol
Old 08-12-2007, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fine = 10 grand + jail

if you live in cali don't touch anything

CHP's can already pull you over for driving.. if they don't get you for that it might be for waking up in the morning
Old 08-12-2007, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by rmatt8748,Aug 12 2007, 05:34 PM
fine = 10 grand + jail

if you live in cali don't touch anything

CHP's can already pull you over for driving.. if they don't get you for that it might be for waking up in the morning
lol 10k fine + jail. hhaha
Old 08-13-2007, 04:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well my point is that California is very tough.. we all know that

They have smog sniffing machines at various intersections. you can't get away with much over there

Even if you live in another state, and drive a car that doesn't conform to cali laws in cali, you can get ticketed for it.

I personally don't see the point.. what, you might get an extra 10-15hp? Is that necessary? Is it worth smelling like a$$ and worrying about getting a ticket.. and yes it's expensive. IMHO no it's not. If you seriously tracked your car.. maybe. But then you'd have a stripped interior and roll cage so you'd truck it to the track anyways.

just my thoughts

Quick Reply: Invidia test pipe?