S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Interior Rattle Solution

Old 01-14-2001 | 05:52 PM
20 Year Member

Over the past month I've seen some posts here and there about chasing down interior rattles. Maybe if we can post our successes in one place, we can all learn, and the results can be placed in one thread in the Tecnical Archives.

I had the noise that sounded like it came from the dash at low revs and when slow on an a particularly rough road. I found that tightening the bolts behind the interior overhead light lens a turn or so improved things a great amount.

Anyone else have noises they tracked down, or suggestions or beter solutions?
Old 01-14-2001 | 06:01 PM
20 Year Member

I have exactly the same noise you did..I thought it was from the dash area somewhere..perhaps something internal..turns out it is the rear view mirror!..I tried to tighten it but the screw was already on rock solid but the next time i drove there was no rattle so i guess i must have done something..has anyone here ever had a small squeak from the seatbelt though?? If i move my belt while it's on me i hear some small squeaks from the mechanism..drives me crazy..
Old 01-14-2001 | 06:16 PM
20 Year Member

Originally posted by h2000
I have exactly the same noise you did..I thought it was from the dash area somewhere..perhaps something internal..turns out it is the rear view mirror!..I tried to tighten it but the screw was already on rock solid but the next time i drove there was no rattle so i guess i must have done something..has anyone here ever had a small squeak from the seatbelt though?? If i move my belt while it's on me i hear some small squeaks from the mechanism..drives me crazy..

BINGO!!! I had the rear-view mirror rattle too. I had to thank my wife for finding it. I readjusted it and have the rattle from time to time.

No seatbelt rattle yet....
Old 01-14-2001 | 07:33 PM
20 Year Member

I've got a rattle from the passenger side... not sure if its the door or what.

I notice the seat makes some noises too, but when you have a passenger, that noise is gone. Not a big deal, but would be nice since its the ONLY rattle I have from the interior. The rest of the noises are engine/road, etc and belong in a sports car... rattles do not.
Old 01-14-2001 | 07:39 PM
20 Year Member

If i move my belt while it's on me i hear some small squeaks from the mechanism..drives me crazy..
Look where the shoulder belt rubs against the seat as it comes around from behind the seat. Move the shoulder belt a little forward and back as though you were leaning. You might find the squeak being reproduced where the belt rubs the seat.
Old 01-14-2001 | 07:41 PM
Former Moderator
20 Year Member

If I may, I'd like to tell a story. I'd be driving along and here this weird noise come from my passenger seat. Sounded like a fart! so I look, tighten, make sure nothings rubbing and still I here it!
Turns out one of the songs I Dl'd from napster has this noise on the left track did I feel stupid!
I feel much better getting that off my chest
Old 01-14-2001 | 08:19 PM
20 Year Member

When driving alone, I buckle the PASSENGER seat belt in. Otherwise it will sometimes generate a noise banging against the door slightly on rough roads. Outside of that, the other squeaks (slight and rare) are just the demons of any convertible.
Old 01-14-2001 | 08:52 PM
20 Year Member

If i move my belt while it's on me i hear some small squeaks from the mechanism..drives me crazy..
My S is in for it's 10K service and they are replacing the seat trim because of exactly this problem. The seat belt had actually rubbed the leather raw (friction burn) just ahead of the seat belt guide.

Don't know what they're going to do to stop it re-occuring though.

They're also replacing the seat base leather as it has discoloured unevenly. One of the panels is bright red and the others dull.
Old 01-14-2001 | 09:10 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor
20 Year Member

Originally posted by AusS2000
My S is in for it's 10K service and they are replacing the seat trim because of exactly this problem. The seat belt had actually rubbed the leather raw (friction burn) just ahead of the seat belt guide.

Don't know what they're going to do to stop it re-occuring though.

They're also replacing the seat base leather as it has discoloured unevenly. One of the panels is bright red and the others dull.
Any chance of getting me a sample of a bit of the unfaded leather of your seat base so I use for colour matching ?
Old 01-14-2001 | 10:00 PM
20 Year Member

I'll check it out tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Interior Rattle Solution