S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Interior Noise

Old 09-03-2001 | 07:34 AM

Default Interior Noise

Do any of you experience problems with interior noise. I noticed that sometimes, the wind would flap the rear plastic panel and make this gawaful sound. The passenger seatbelt would rattle against the side and the back plastic panel under the top shakes too. what's going on!!!... I am beginning to lose my mind hearing all this weird noises....
Old 09-03-2001 | 08:29 AM

I have a rattle inside mine too. I talked to some guy at Honda and he said all of them do it. Well i want mine to not do it. I think the rattle I? have is caused by the little buttons the tourneau cover snaps too, but i havent really found out if thats for sure. Anyone else have any rattles that they have found a cure for, short of riding with the top down
Old 09-03-2001 | 08:45 AM
20 Year Member

I have the full compliment of interior rattles. Passenger seat rattles, I think the seat belt retractor mechanism rattles (after TSB work), especially on the passenger side. Then I have the squeaky mattress noise coming from under my front end (after clutch, synchro, and seatbelt TSBs - all done at the same time).
Old 09-03-2001 | 01:18 PM

I have a sound that sounds like a bolt rolling back and clunking into something when I accelerate. It sounds like it's coming from under the center console. Kinda weird and it just showed up two weeks ago.
Old 09-03-2001 | 02:00 PM
Former Sponsor
20 Year Member

You have got to remember that this car was not designed with the "you can hear a pin drop" drivel in mind that Lexus and other car makers have been marketing ad nuseum to luxury obsessed upper-middle class conspicuous-consumption consumers. If you want a quiet interior, you bought the wrong car, baby. Everything about this car was designed around performance. If you can hear the mechanicals whirring away, the engine screaming, that's deliberate (remember the Lexus folks brag about you not being able to hear the engine,as if they car has none). It's as if they think buyers are afraid to hear the thing that makes the machine go. Too many of us have been conditoned by all of this hype to believe we shouldn't hear a damned thing but the 4-channel stereo.

That having been said, there are some annoying noises like the seatbelt rattle on the passenger side and the belt rubbing on the leather seat on the driver's side. Thankfully, they're easy to fix. But if quiet is your goal, I'd sell the S2000 and look for another car.
Old 09-03-2001 | 02:10 PM

rick, dont get me wrong , i love all the noises my baby makes. i just have this annoying rattle on the passengers side, its not a mechanical issue just a loose something issue
Old 09-03-2001 | 02:22 PM

Hey guys,

This sounds stupid but have you checked the passengerside seatbelt (sometimes it wacks the door) and seat (if you put the seat all the way back, the leather will run against the back and cause squeking)?

Happy motoring,
Bobby
Old 09-03-2001 | 02:37 PM
20 Year Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by racer-rob
[B]rick, dont get me wrong , i love all the noises my baby makes.
Old 09-03-2001 | 04:03 PM
Former Sponsor
20 Year Member

Sounds like the seatbelt -- that gets me everytime. There's also that weird sound made by the driver's seatbelt rubbing on the leather where it comes through the guide. Only a piece of felt will make it go away.
Old 09-03-2001 | 04:09 PM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

I put a seat belt shoulder pad on the passenger seat. It stopped my rattle.

Quick Reply: Interior Noise