S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Interior LEDs - White or Blue?

Old 11-27-2014, 10:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Interior LEDs - White or Blue?

I am going to take advantage of the big HIDExtra black friday sale...

In addition to the HID kit for my 2nd Gen TL, I am also going to get the interior LED light kit for all three of my vehicles (including my S2000)...

Big question... I was going to pull the trigger on three sets of white colored interior lights, because I am not really trying to go trendy with the blue look...

But then I paused and was wondering if there are any other considerations I should be thinking about when it comes to blue versus white interior lights...

Are there any other reasons to go blue, other than having the trendy blue halo around the car? Are there safety or clarity considerations?

Just thought I'd ask this community before pulling the trigger...

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-27-2014, 10:40 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Blue interior lights are trendy? Must have missed that memo.

Stick to white.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think white would be fine. Inside of a dodge charger some interior lights are blue; the ones the accent the door handles and storege space. I guess it is trendy!
Old 11-27-2014, 01:36 PM

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,036 Posts

If blue is trendy it might be because it works. Blue happens to be quite reactive to rhodopsin in the eye; it can see it well. (Think police lights) It works better than red for retaining night vision. White is the worst. That means you can keep the intensity lower for a visibility threshold than another color such as red.

I was pleased that my 04 MDX had very light background blue led lighting and grew quite fond of it. That drove me to install a single blue led in each footwell of my S for background light. I added a circuit jumper so it is always on when the 12v lighter circuit is on.

I am going to add an overhead single blue led on the map light but recess it so the direct light cannot be seen by occupants. It in effect will shine though a tube or slit. It will throw a background light on the transmission tunnel area.

You can probably tell I prefer the lights to be somewhat dim; just enough to be able to see but not so bright as to read a book they way some people like them.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeekiM
I am going to take advantage of the big HIDExtra black friday sale...

In addition to the HID kit for my 2nd Gen TL, I am also going to get the interior LED light kit for all three of my vehicles (including my S2000)...

Big question... I was going to pull the trigger on three sets of white colored interior lights, because I am not really trying to go trendy with the blue look...

But then I paused and was wondering if there are any other considerations I should be thinking about when it comes to blue versus white interior lights...

Are there any other reasons to go blue, other than having the trendy blue halo around the car? Are there safety or clarity considerations?

Just thought I'd ask this community before pulling the trigger...

Happy Thanksgiving!
Does HIDExtra actually carry prepackaged LED interior light kits? I couldn't find any on their website.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:07 PM

Thanks all... "Trendy" might have been the wrong word for me to use...

I guess what I meant was that I want to choose a color based on pragmatic reasoning...not just because it looks cool or might be trendy...
Old 11-27-2014, 05:37 PM
Community Organizer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
If blue is trendy it might be because it works. Blue happens to be quite reactive to rhodopsin in the eye; it can see it well. (Think police lights) It works better than red for retaining night vision. White is the worst. That means you can keep the intensity lower for a visibility threshold than another color such as red.
+1

Mine are blue and provide great lighting.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:04 AM

OK... Next question... The interior LED bulbs come in two varieties...

1) Normal
2) CANBUS (Controller Area Network)

CANBUS bulbs (on relevant vehicles) eliminate light flicker and dashboard warnings.

The site says that CANBUS is commonly found on European luxury cars like BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Volkswagen, and Porsches, but they don't say anything certain...

My guess is that I could own one of the makes above with or without CANBUS, and I could probably own a different make altogether that might use CANBUS...

Does anyone know whether Honda/Acura uses CANBUS? And if it even matters (i.e., can I buy CANBUS compatible bulbs for a non-CANBUS setup)?
Old 12-01-2014, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have red interior LEDs, definitely a neat color, without feeling like the power of the sun it hitting your eyes when you walk into the car at night. I can keep them on while I'm driving, but it's mostly limited to a passenger looking for something that fell between the seats.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

White

Quick Reply: Interior LEDs - White or Blue?