S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Intakes, whats the best to go for? Or mod the stock box?

Old 02-10-2004, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intakes, whats the best to go for? Or mod the stock box?

HI there

OK I've been reading and doing lots of searching on these great forums and I've come to the conclusion that an intake such as the AEM V2 CAI or Injen CAI will give the best performance boost whilst also making a lot of noise.
Only scary thing with these if that they are quite hard work to install.

Would people agree with this? Or would some of you be inclined to think that the stock air system with an uprated K&N element and modded to direct cold air into it would work better? If this is the better option are their any guides as to what to do for best results?

Cheers!

P.S. Also I have heard good things about the NEW Pipercross Viper CAI kits, but unfortunately they don't seem to do one for the S2000?
Old 02-10-2004, 03:34 PM

Installation wasnt what worried me about the AEM, it was the hydrolocking, so I stayed away from that. The PRM had stories of powerloss, and pretty much draws hot air from the oven. I went for the Comptech because it makes power, sounds good, and wont hydrolock my engine. I wouldnt mod the stock box, incase you want to return it to stock.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:43 PM

COMPTECH
Old 02-10-2004, 05:25 PM
dut

Originally posted by paivag
COMPTECH
- are these COMPTECH iceboxes dyno-proven?
Old 02-10-2004, 05:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I have the AEM V2 and have noticed power gains plus better gas milage. There's 2 things I don't like, one is possible hydrolock but I live in Southern California so that's not much of problem and changing the filter which involves removing my right tire, luckly a good friend of mine has his own shop.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:37 PM
dut

Originally posted by dreamcation
I have the AEM V2 and have noticed power gains plus better gas milage. There's 2 things I don't like, one is possible hydrolock but I live in Southern California so that's not much of problem and changing the filter which involves removing my right tire, luckly a good friend of mine has his own shop.
- I know the AEM has gains, as I was told by a friend/tuner down here
Old 02-10-2004, 06:02 PM

Everything has gains from the manufactuer. The Comptech has privately tested gains, as do the AEMs. PRM have netted losses in some cases.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had gains with my PRM and highly recommend it.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:15 PM

I have an AEM. The dyno charts show that Injen has the highest hp gain (by like 1/2 hp), however the material aem uses to make their intakes will stay cooler longer. Once any metalic intake heats up (which will happen after driving for about 10 minutes or so) means hotter air going into your motor. ... so what does that mean.... less hp and no point of the "cold air" intake vs warm air.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:19 AM

Does the AEM V2 sound good?

I have heard great things about the Injen about it sounding awsome, but I reckon the AEM V2 will give better and smoother power delivery so am just wondering what owners of the AEM V2 thing sound wise?

If I go for the AEM V2 I will also wrap it in heat resistant wrapping to aid in keeping the intake air inside the tube cooler. I take it though that with the AEM V2 throttle response will be better with maybe some low-end to mid-range extra grunt. What I do not want is to lose power or get poorer throttle response.

Quick Reply: Intakes, whats the best to go for? Or mod the stock box?