S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Intake Noises!!!!

Old 01-07-2003, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Noises!!!!

Ah I just installed an Ingen cold air intake on my '00 s2k and i get this werid whisling noise when i rev bewteen 5.5-9.0 i mean it gets more high pitched which i thought wouldnt have been. it happened when it was stock to just not so distinct. if any of you hear this whisling please tell me cause i really want to know if there is anything wrong with my car. its my baby
Old 01-07-2003, 06:48 PM

That is normal, although I only hear it from about 3000 to 4500
Old 01-07-2003, 07:04 PM

I'm glad I saw this thread, I thought I had a timing problem or something....
Old 01-07-2003, 08:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by ugotmade
That is normal, although I only hear it from about 3000 to 4500
Exactly the same here. I have the AEM.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:52 AM

If you want to hear a strange intake noise from the stock airbox, just take off the lid while the engine is running (look out for the spinning pulley with your fingers). The loud moaning groaning noise it starts making is bizarre.

Anyone know if the sealed airbox silences this surprisingly loud noise by acoustic resonance suppression and/or by limiting airflow?

Kind Regards, Chris
Old 01-08-2003, 07:09 AM

Originally posted by ChrisfromRI
If you want to hear a strange intake noise from the stock airbox, just take off the lid while the engine is running (look out for the spinning pulley with your fingers). The loud moaning groaning noise it starts making is bizarre.

Anyone know if the sealed airbox silences this surprisingly loud noise by acoustic resonance suppression and/or by limiting airflow?

Kind Regards, Chris
The stock airbox was designed with performance and accoustics in mind. "Performance" wise, it is actually a very good design for what it needs to do. Sound wise, have you noticed that separate little chamber off to the side? There is an access hole to it just below the filter. Honda put this there partly (or entirely) for sound tuning.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:29 AM

xviper,

Thanks, I'll take a look for that later in the garage. Do you know if leaving the lid off of the '02 airbox changes performance?

I would suspect that measuring and comparing the area of the airbox entrance and exit openings would indicate whether the airbox itself actually resticts flow or not. Certainly the air flow is made more turbulent with the air having to travel up and over the interior baffle plate to get to the filter, but I agree with you that the whole stock airbox seems to work pretty well. BTW, the stock filter looks like it has a lot of surface area, and it seems there is very little improvement that can be made with swapping in an aftermarket filter. Any thoughts?

Thanks, and Kind Regards, Chris
Old 01-08-2003, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by ChrisfromRI
xviper,

Thanks, I'll take a look for that later in the garage. Do you know if leaving the lid off of the '02 airbox changes performance?

I would suspect that measuring and comparing the area of the airbox entrance and exit openings would indicate whether the airbox itself actually resticts flow or not. Certainly the air flow is made more turbulent with the air having to travel up and over the interior baffle plate to get to the filter, but I agree with you that the whole stock airbox seems to work pretty well. BTW, the stock filter looks like it has a lot of surface area, and it seems there is very little improvement that can be made with swapping in an aftermarket filter. Any thoughts?

Thanks, and Kind Regards, Chris
Chris, it is well documented in the forum that leaving the air box off is all fine and good till your underhood temps rise. At that point, you'll be sucking in HOT air and as a result, be suffering a performance loss.
Like I said, the stock box is actually very good (free flowing). It's gets all the air it needs. That's not to say you couldn't get an even better "performance" CAI aftermarket that have been shown to give significant gains.
You are right about the stock filter. It does the job quite well, however, I went with a JR filter (sorta like the K&N) but better (IMO) and this gave a bit better throttle response on the butt dyno. The other advantage is that the JR is cleanable and thus, re-useable. I actually have the JR stuck on the end of my AEM CAI right now.
You can easily turn your stock intake into a CAI by the simple addtion of the "radmat":
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=70356
Old 01-08-2003, 09:11 AM

xviper,

Thanks for your thoughts, and also the very interesting reference to your thread on the Radmat.

I only wish we could get some warm weather here! Time to go out and plow the snow...

Kind Regards, Chris