S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Intake Help

Old 06-27-2005, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hydrolocking should not be an issue with any CAI as long as there is a bypass valve.

John
Old 06-27-2005, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bypass valve takes away any gains made with a CAI. I have an AEM V2 that I would reccomend. The sound is great and there are small gains. You souldn't have to worry about hydrolock unless you plan on submerging your filter. Just plug the holee in the rain channel under your hood that sits right above the filter. This will prevent water from dripping onto your filter (I used electrical tape). This has been successful for me for over a year, including three hurricanes where my car was parked outside with at least twelve inches of rain falling during each storm.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by jwa4378,Jun 27 2005, 03:00 PM
Hydrolocking should not be an issue with any CAI as long as there is a bypass valve.

John
There is no bypass valve for AEM V2. Gives me 1 more good reason to drive other car when it's raining...
Old 06-27-2005, 02:39 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by terd ferguson,Jun 27 2005, 05:05 PM
You souldn't have to worry about hydrolock unless you plan on submerging your filter.
Completely wrong information. Save yourself, and others a whole lot of grief, and forget this myth.

A moist filter is enough to hydrolock. This has been done by a few members.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I also hydrolocked without submerging. it was deeper than i thought, but not that deep.

It only takes 45mL in a cylinder to hydrolock it.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:25 AM

I ahve heard of people hydrolocking without submerging as well. I would make sure there is a bypass valve or some type of prevention method....you do not want this happening to the engine.

To prevent this, look into a short / RAM air type intake. Shorter run. It takes in hotter air, but takes in more of it.

John
Old 06-28-2005, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by jwa4378,Jun 28 2005, 09:25 AM
I ahve heard of people hydrolocking without submerging as well. I would make sure there is a bypass valve or some type of prevention method....you do not want this happening to the engine.

To prevent this, look into a short / RAM air type intake. Shorter run. It takes in hotter air, but takes in more of it.

John
Might as well stay stock instead of sucking in hotter air...

People have had good luck plugging drain holes and making umbrellas for the air filter. Bypass valve also looses HP and isn't available for AEM V2.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:47 AM

I've had a Comptech for the past 2 years and I love it. Sound is great IMO cost isn't bad either. I look at it like this "if you can afford the S you can the CAI."
Old 06-28-2005, 10:21 AM

I am not quite as well versed as some of you, but the RAM style intake exists for a reason, and claims some HP gains....granted not as much as a CAI, but they are still there. Most intake gains only take place with an exhaust / header modification as well. You can only take in as much air as you can get through the exhaust. I thought the premise behind the RAM induction was it crammed MORE air, because it has a wider tubing with less bends and has a higher flowing filter. I under stand that you can get more air in if it is denser (colder), but if you just have a bigger opening, it should allow the engine to suck more air in (think of breathing througha longer / thinner straw then breathing through a shorter, straighter, wider straw. The actual temp of the air, I thought, didnt have anything to do with it, other than the fact that colder air is denser. If you can get more air in, via another route (RAM air), the temp should not much matter.

I may be completely off base, as I am not an engine tech kinda guy, but it makes sense.

John
Old 06-28-2005, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by jwa4378,Jun 28 2005, 11:21 AM
The actual temp of the air, I thought, didnt have anything to do with it, other than the fact that colder air is denser. If you can get more air in, via another route (RAM air), the temp should not much matter.
The temp has EVERYTHING to do with it. You are assuming that a CAI has skinny piping and starves the engine of the airflow it needs. That would be lame. Ram air induction is not the same thing as a short ram(hot air) intake. It usually involves a cowl hood...

Quick Reply: Intake Help