S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Intake Help

Old 06-27-2005, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Help

I'm looking to add an intake to my MY02 S2K but I'm having a lot of trouble deciding what to get. I know there are several other threads such as this, and I have read them all. I am debating between the Comptech, AEM v2, and the PRM. One thing that I should mention is that I have a strut bar (not sure which one), so I guess that could affect my choice. I know that both the AEM and Comptech claim HP gains, but I'm not so much concerned with this. The reason I'm looking to get an intake is improved throttle response, and mainly the sound. I want something that has a noticeable sound, not something close to stock. If people could please give me some feedback as to what each intake sounds like and other pros/cons of each I would really appreciate it. Also, with the AEM, do you have to remove the front bumper to install it and, if so, how difficult is this. I don't want to spend over $400 - does that leave me with any other options?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-27-2005, 10:01 AM

Just take to cover off the air box. Sounds amazing.....much throatier....kinda like a 350Z, and at wide open throttle....WOW. No real performance gains (that I can tell) other than reduced heat soak in town.

Just my .02

No need to spend $200+ for an intake if you can get it for free.

John
Old 06-27-2005, 10:14 AM

Do you just take the cover off the airbox and leave the filter in? Are there any negative consequences or risks associated with doing this? Also, any noticeable gains in throttle response?
Old 06-27-2005, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by RhodesScholar06,Jun 27 2005, 11:14 AM
Do you just take the cover off the airbox and leave the filter in? Are there any negative consequences or risks associated with doing this?
Besides loosing HP by feeding hotter air to the engine?
Old 06-27-2005, 10:41 AM

I just took off my air box cover a few days ago to see what happens. Amazing sound when you push the car hard. But in speeds under, say, 30mph, there is a LOT of performance loss with the heatsoak. I'm putting my top back on till I get my PRM.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:43 AM

I know the air going in is hotter (someone on this site has done a temp test....and it is indeed hotter). I dont feel any REAL HP losses. Nothing my Butt-dyno can detect .

If you do this, I would get a K&N replacement filter, because it is cleanable and will last longer between replacements. As far as throttle response, I would replace the flywheel with a lighter one (comptech, etc.). This also supposedly minimizes drivetrain HP losses.

I, personally, do not auto-x or race my car, so I do not really ever hit the 9k redline (or even the 8300 peak HP for that matter) so a few lost ponies is worth the extra sound.

John
Old 06-27-2005, 11:20 AM

Lose the strut bar if it limits your choice on a CAI because it doesn't do anything.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:18 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PRM has the best sound, shortest travel distance to throttle body (best throttle response) and no worrying about hydrolock.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:30 PM

ive had the V2, then comptech, and actually going back to the V2 system.

as for the aem i think its great, the sound especially at vtec, etc. to me the downside, is the possibility of hydrolock (which ive had once), and the fact the engine look so empty.

when i had the comptech, honestly it didnt sound THAT much quieter, just maybe a tad.. but i did like the way the intake filled the engine bay..

but in the end, im going back to the V2.. the sound, and the throttle and HP is slightly better, but the again the AEM is cheaper, yet not nice with the bling factor (carbon fiber baby!)..

anyhow its all up to you.. looks vs. performace with reliability vs. maintence/care.

have fun tho.!
Old 06-27-2005, 12:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've also hydrolocked (not my S) so I won't risk it again. I plan to get the Comptech.

Quick Reply: Intake Help