S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Insurance Woes

Old 03-09-2001, 05:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Insurance companies will do whatever possible (within reason, well maybe not) to minimise their payouts.

Ever wondered why insurance companies are so tight? It's because they frequently have to deal with crooks. How many of us law abiding honest citizens know someone personally who has ripped off the insurance company? From burning out a car, to overclaiming on a job. So don't be surprised if they are tight.

Sev - bit harse. Maybe engage mind before putting mouth into gear. You could've said the same thing without pissing off everyone in the insurance industry. Just a thought.

RossoS2K - You're sounding a little defensive to me. Don't suppose this is the first time you've heard this sort of argument huh. Seems like popular opinion is that the particular company you work for is a tad on the Charles Manson side.

Ever notice how your insurance salesperson is never their when you want to make a claim. There's two faces to an insurance company. Dr Jeckyll sells you the policy with a big smile, Mr hyde will be dealing with your claim.
Old 03-09-2001, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always have my customers best interestes in mind.

I always do the right thing and I always do my best.

Any inference that I or my company do not have our customers best interests in mind is just silly.

I am personaly offended by Sev's comments.

Im sorry you all feel this way about insurance companies but I assure you, you are the minority. Most people are more than satisfied and are treated fairly.

Thats all I have to say.

Power6spd,
my advice to you is call your agent, he is your best advocate. Talk intelegently to him expain your situation and ask for his help...
Old 03-09-2001, 07:08 PM

I have had State Farm Auto Insurance since I bought my first car over 30 years ago. I have dealt with agents and claims adjusters in Virginia, Illinois, Texas and Florida. I have had to make my case a couple of times, but have always felt I was treated fairly on every claim. In fact, I was hit by another State Farm insured driver a few years back. My car was a 95 Lexus LS400. The adjuster figured all original Lexus parts. He asked where I would take my car for repair. When I said the local Lexus dealer, he said they don't do their own paint and body work. He knew who did their work, and was not impressed with the quality. He recommended someone else whom I knew to be the very best paint and body shop in Tampa Bay. So I took it there. They found additional damage, called State Farm and got their approval for the extras. My car turned out beautiful.
Just my experiences, yours may, and probably will vary.
Don
Old 03-09-2001, 07:23 PM

from the experiences of myself and others i know, hatred of insurance companies could unite the middle east
Old 03-09-2001, 10:00 PM

Well.... you guys know that I just had my top ripped and my seats stolen?
I got an over the phone estimate today from the adjuster and guess what... 85 grand! Thats (mainly) for two seats, the top (800bucks) and the shift knob and some minor stuff.

I would that that you should definitely get a second estimate. And 20K, the market price of your s2k. The man's joking.

By the way, my insurance company is Allstate and so far, I'm perfectly satisfied how they handled this situation. The adjuster even found out that he could get an almost new(?) seats it I didn't want to wait for the seat parts to come in (he told me that Honda doesn't ship seats assembled??) as an option. I opted to wait a few weeks and get the new red seats.

Actually, he even found a small dent that myself and the dealer missed and included it in the claim.

I'll have to see until I get my car back for a final judgement but I would say at least the adjuster working for my case is very nice.

Oh.. by the way, do you know if a large claim on comprehensive coverage (theft in my case) will increase my premium?
Old 03-09-2001, 10:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by turboelan
guess what... 85 grand!
Ah, in Aus 'grand' means $1000 (which I guess isn't much in $USD ). Did you mean $8,500?

Kudos to the adjuster for the dent.
Old 03-09-2001, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by AusS2000
Originally posted by turboelan
guess what... 85 grand!
Ah, in Aus 'grand' means $1000 (which I guess isn't much in $USD ). Did you mean $8,500?

Kudos to the adjuster for the dent.
Oooops... I thought this was the Lamborg fan club.
Old 03-09-2001, 10:59 PM

Power6- sorry to hear about your experiences so far. I have not liked insurance folks very much but I must admit my experience with State farm was mostly good. Experiences included several large comp claims similar to Turboelan's and a few accidents including two totalled vehicles. They have actually always came through well.
Yet despite those good experiences, there always is this feeling that something is not right. Unlike some scorned and spiteful insureds , I would not wish anyone harm, and I WOULD care if something did happen to a fellow human being regardless of if he or she worked for an insurance company. Heck, I 'd even care if something happened to a fellow S2ker that made insulting and self serving comments that ultimately made them look really dumb. But I guess we all say things that we shouldn't, so I might as well apologize now if anyone else is offended. Insurance is a necessary evil. I guess we all have to deal with it.
Back to the subject, I would definitely hire a claims adjuster on your side to re assess the dameg. We all know that such a level of damage will ake the car different no matter how well they fix it. I hope they can do the teardown as mentioned by Greg and find enough to meet the low $20k value they gave you. Good luck!
Old 03-10-2001, 02:40 AM

I'm glad to see that one person is swallowing Allstate's advertising..aka Rosso.

My experience with Allstate and countless Dateline, Primetime Live and 60 minutes segments come to the same conclusion.

I was hit by an Allstate insured, had a police report assesing TOTAL fault to them, and then they still had the audacity to tell me they weren't paying.

Well, I got online to the Texas State Board of Insurance with all the facts and within a week of their involvement had a check for every dollar I was out. If you look up compaints with many state agencies Allstate is top dog in most of them.
Old 03-10-2001, 03:31 PM

Take the car to a Honda dealer with a body shop, explain to them (the sales dept)that if they can get the body shop to total the car you'll buy a new one from them. After my experience with an insurance company (Farmers)that's what the Infiniti dealer told me to do. He was a former insurance adjuster.