S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Insurance Question...

Old 02-25-2008, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can customize your coverage with a lot of companies. I can go into my insurance options, and change a myriad of options and it shows you how it'll affect your rate in real time.

I'm with Esurance - they're cheap but they're also cheap bastards when it comes to paying anything.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to an independent insurance broker and they will get quotes from several companies.
Each companies offer that may meet liability could be a little different with comprehennsive.
Some may offer towing or free rental or possibly a slight deductable for one or both.
I would assume that the three lowest quotes will not necessarily be the ones with the least benefits but of course this is a possibility.
Check with your independent seller.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have an insurance question....

I plan on possibly buying a S2k within a couple of weeks, (mid-march), from a dealership in NYC. However, I'm located in Boston. Now I would like to make this a one-shot deal if possible. I would like to drive the car home the same day if all goes well. I plan on financing and would bring a blank check up to the dealership to initiate the loan.

I'm not sure if I would have to go back-and-forth to Boston, just to go through the whole car registration & insurance process before driving the car back or is there an option where the dealer could issue temp-plates? If so, I'm not sure how temporary dealer issued plates work in correlation to insurance.

Any help is appreciated. I'm so use to private party transactions, this would actually by my first dealer purchase.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:46 AM

you shouldnt have any trouble getting temp plates. call the dealer and he should be able to tell you. i dont know how insurance works, but everytime someone buys a car this happens, so there is a process and the dealer would know it.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought my S out of state and got a 3-day "trip permit" that allowed me to travel without plates or a real temp permit until I could get to my local DMV to get a temp permit at which time I also contacted my insurance to get the policy updated, etc etc.

In most cases, I think there is a window of time that you are allowed after purchasing a car to get the policy updated while still being "covered".
Old 02-25-2008, 01:28 PM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

I don't think Massachusetts does temporary tags. I got pulled over once in greater Boston driving around on Ohio temp tags. The cop thought I made the plate myself.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:01 PM

I"m pretty sure that if you have any insurance on any car that includes liability and collision, your present company is required (by law) to accept your new car for up to 30days.
This will give you plenty of time to update your insurance when you get back.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by JackS,Feb 25 2008, 03:01 PM
I"m pretty sure that if you have any insurance on any car that includes liability and collision, your present company is required (by law) to accept your new car for up to 30days.
This will give you plenty of time to update your insurance when you get back.
I would think so as well.

Now what if you currently don't have a car, let alone insurance? The issue is I just recently cancelled my insurance, and in the process of selling my car privately.

Unless that temp window is still given, I'm not looking forward to making two seperate trips to NY for something like that.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDM_JOE,Feb 24 2008, 10:54 PM
I sold my car and am about to pick up a 06 s2k and was wondering what the lowest coverage you can have but still have full coverage.
You can raise you deductible and make other tweaks to save on your payments. Of course, raising your deductible does increase your out-of-pocket costs when something happens and you file a claim.

If you qualify for USAA check them out.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:50 PM

minimum requirements should apply to liability coverages only. you choose your deductible for full coverage and your rates vary from that.

Quick Reply: Insurance Question...