S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Insurance Coverage Denial

Old 10-01-2007, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance Coverage Denial

Hi everyone,

Let me start out by saying that I haven't been denied claim coverage and everything is alright on my car (aside from the fact that it's in the shop now getting repaired after a parked car opened her door into traffic and scraped my side).

When I called to report this damage (other party was 100% at fault). My insurance company my insurance company asked if any modifications had been made to the vehicle. Not wanting to risk an issue with a claim in the future I said yes, the exhaust system has been changed and a lip was added to the bottom of the front bumper.

I am transferring my insurance coverage to my new home now that I've relocated across the country and indicated that I'd be happy to bring it in for inspection or appraisal and pay the appropriate premiums if there is any increase.

I received a letter last week telling me that as of October 6, 2007 that my coverage would not be renewed as a result of modifications to the car. They are claiming that the mods would make the car more enticing to criminals and theives.

I find this absurd as really the only item they can take issue with would be the Comptech exhaust (since Honda has an OEM lip that they don't make a stink over). All they need to do is indicate that in the event of necessary replacement that they will cover equivalent OEM replacement instead if they don't feel like matching the Comptech price, especially since they aren't really available anymore.

Stupid State Farm.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get Progressive. %$&# State Farm.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:49 AM

Wow, that's weird, they didn't try to raise the rates, they just dropped you. In the future, it's all in how you sell it. A comptech exhaust is just an aftermarked replacement part, and not a modification. Just like a Fram oil filter isn't a "Mod" The front lip is technically a mod though, but call it a bumper protecter, and you're halfway there.

Good luck finding a new company.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:02 AM

Roc, I don't think Progressive is available in Canada unfortunately. I could be wrong. I am thinking it's time to leave them and take my business elsewhere though.

It sure is crazy that they'd be willing to drop somebody under 25 years of age who has been paying thousands of dollars to them for YEARS without filing any at fault claims or receiving any tickets in the last 7 years. I would think I'm kind of an ideal sucker for their high rates since I'm little risk to them now (aside from the standard "age" risk) and I'm paying some of the highest rates you can for the next 6 months till I turn 25 at least. Why not renew me after I willingly offered to come for an inspection to adjust premiums accordingly?

Rerum, good points. I actually did explain that I replaced the exhaust with an after market direct-fit replacement for the vehicle, that it did not affect emissions testing or inspection, and that the lip on the front is a slight cosmetic addition equal to the of the OEM lip sold by Honda as an option on the vehicle. I sold it fairly well without misrepresenting, in my opinion, though I like the idea of bumper protector Very clever!

I'm going to give them one chance here in my new province with new insurance rules and legislation to cover the vehicle, and then I'll take my business elsewhere. 6 months from now my rates cut in half. Gotta stay clean and fly under the radar till then
Old 10-01-2007, 08:09 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyCB,Oct 1 2007, 12:02 PM
Roc, I don't think Progressive is available in Canada unfortunately. I could be wrong. I am thinking it's time to leave them and take my business elsewhere though.
You are right.. Progressive is not available in Canada...

Aftermarket parts is a tricky one since there has been research done that shows a correlation between aftermarket cars and theft.. Unfortunately, most of that is based on the 16 year old kid driving a car bought by mom-and-pop motorsports.

Depending on the carrier some places will actually allow you to add an endorsement on your policy that allows for aftermarket equipment. You will pay a little bit more, but you will at least know that it is covered.

Sorry about your luck Mikey.. I'm surprised State Farm is cancelling you..
Old 10-01-2007, 08:25 AM

i work for a state farm agent in Maryland. currently there is no additional charge for modifications to a vehicle. if you keep receipts for after market parts and accessories, they are covered. it must be different in canada. you may double check w/ your agent. he/she may be able to help.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Nice

(and that's why as soon as I buy a house, I'm switching my insurance over )
Old 10-01-2007, 08:46 AM

i wouldn't even bat an eye. F@#$ them. get coverage elsewhere. they obviously are too f#$%ing stupid to know anything about it. The only person that could steal those parts is another s2000 owner. Bunch of idiots. Get a company thats know something, cause chances are, they would really try to f#$% you over if you did try to make a claim.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ta845,Oct 1 2007, 10:25 AM
i work for a state farm agent in Maryland. currently there is no additional charge for modifications to a vehicle. if you keep receipts for after market parts and accessories, they are covered. it must be different in canada. you may double check w/ your agent. he/she may be able to help.
Are you sure about that? Maybe it's different in Maryland, but when I filed a claim with State Farm in Texas a while back, there is a limit on the amount that you can claim for aftermarket parts ($1500 is the standard). You have to pay extra if you want additional coverage above & beyond the initial $1500. That's how my State Farm policy works, anyway.

I think it's ludicrous that they would drop someone for aftermarket parts. Just increase the premium to account for the perceived increased risk and go on their merry way. Sounds like they were just looking for an excuse to drop this guy.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mocky,Oct 1 2007, 10:27 AM
Nice

(and that's why as soon as I buy a house, I'm switching my insurance over )
So you can mod your house without worry? I recommend hydraulics

Thanks for the tips on retaining receipts, ta845. In the past I've never had issue with insurance companies and unannounced mods including stereo upgrades. I made a $6K claim after a theft years back ( with a different ins company) and hadn't alerted them to the system prior. They had no problem and even accepted hand-written receipts for parts that had been purchased second-hand from several people.

Quick Reply: Insurance Coverage Denial