S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Insurance Cover Stolen Seats?

Old 06-09-2008, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance Cover Stolen Seats?

Hey guys - my seats were stolen last week, and I'm wondering about what I can expect my insurance company to do. Will they replace them with new seats or insist on used? Are there aftermarket/replica replacements?

If you've had your seats stolen, could you weigh in and let me know what your insurance company did?
Old 06-09-2008, 07:44 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by RamVA,Jun 9 2008, 11:41 AM
and I'm wondering about what I can expect my insurance company to do.
You can expect them to bend you over.

seriously, good luck with the repairs.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:30 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've heard of some insurance carriers who have started paying for used seats. The new seats are very expensive...to the point that just the loss from the seats and top can total an early ap1.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by negcamber,Jun 9 2008, 01:30 PM
I've heard of some insurance carriers who have started paying for used seats. The new seats are very expensive...to the point that just the loss from the seats and top can total an early ap1.
We have a guy here in Davie who had his 01 broken into twice in a matter of 6 weeks. Both times they purchased "used rails" and replaced the bolsters and put on new honda leathers along with an aftermarket top.

It was that or the car get totalled.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Explicit Tuning,Jun 9 2008, 10:23 AM
We have a guy here in Davie who had his 01 broken into twice in a matter of 6 weeks. Both times they purchased "used rails" and replaced the bolsters and put on new honda leathers along with an aftermarket top.

It was that or the car get totalled.
cool sig
Old 06-09-2008, 03:01 PM

theres was some thread that showed the exhaust cost of each part of the seat. it came close to around 9k all new OEM from the dealership. some stupid high amount. plus usually the cost of a soft top which is around a grand. i know there was a local about 4 years ago that had his stolen. seats, door panels and softop had to be replaced. insurence totaled the car.

i definately wouldnt expect it to go smooth sorry to hear about your situation. check your local craigs list.. you can usually pick up a pair for 500 give or take.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:57 PM

Location: All up in your inner tubes. Whatcha gonna do sucka?

Originally Posted by veilside_s2k,Jun 9 2008, 03:01 PM
check your local craigs list.. you can usually pick up a pair for 500 give or take.
and further perpetuate the cycle.....
Old 06-09-2008, 07:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ouch i didnt realize it was that bad. that is a horrible way to have your S totalled..
Old 06-09-2008, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by senor_flojo,Jun 9 2008, 05:57 PM
and further perpetuate the cycle.....
yeah most of the s2k seats on their are stolen but still.. you can have the new seats and top in for <2k

beats having a totaled car and a salvage title due to something small
Old 06-09-2008, 09:43 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Depends on the insurance company, most will look for same year or newer (mandated by law btw, so be sure it;s same year or newer) seats from a used s2000. I hope your car is in good shape, if so, when the used seats arrive u can say that ur seats were in better condition and that those are unacceptable, but again, if your car is tore up then ur gonna have a good time proving it. Odds are though they'll be able to hunt down a damn good pair for u at some point, or hunt down a pair cheap and reskin them. Used rails are fine provided that they're in good condition of course and they're likely gonna come with the used seats. If there was a color you were eyeing and could hunt down a used pair, now might be a good time to do so. Or ask your adjuster this if you're willing to go this route: instead of hunting down used seats that might look like crap, how about you tell me what itll cost to replace with brand new oem, and ill find an aftermarket seat that i like for less than that and we;ll settle it accordingly. Aftermarket= sparco, recaro, etc. Btw, if your car is current model year, they owe for brand new (at least in CA).
And theres nothing wrong with aftermarket tops like robbins, in my case it was better since I'm going to glass.
One last thing for all your folks out there, most insuance companies offer an OEM endorsement, meaning that if you ever need to file a claim, they'll either repair or replace with brand new oem without a single consideration for alternative parts. It will cost more, but usually very little. But be sure they say brand new oem parts becaues used is technically oem although I believe it's being debatd in court as we speak.
Anyway, hope this helps, good luck!

Quick Reply: Insurance Cover Stolen Seats?