S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

insurance

Old 09-04-2012 | 06:34 PM

Asking about insurance rates is a waste of bandwidth. There are too many variables to allow meaningful comparisons.

For example, I usually respond to these kind of threads with the fact that I pay about $320 per year for full coverage on my S2000. It's true but completely meaningless to most other members.

Just to illustrate how individualized rates are, I used to work with a guy whose zip code was changed by the US Postal Service; same people, same house, same cars, different zip code. His rates went up.

So the only appropriate response to an inquiry like this is to tell the OP to research the rate HE/SHE can get.
Old 09-05-2012 | 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by lunardeathgod
It mostly depends on where you go to get insurance. I'm 22 years old and have full coverage with USAA, and it costs me $150 a month.
I wonder why USAA is so expensive. They quoted me about the same as you did for full coverage, and I am the same age that you are. I called around; now I have my S2000 and my wife's Jetta insured for 750 for six months with full coverage. The rate would have been 510 for six months -_- but they didn't have a record of me having prior insurance as I was removed from my parents plan when deployed.

That goes to show how something little can definitely affect your rate. My advice since I too am fairly young is to shop around. Also you are probably going to here this from every insurance company "This is the best rate you are going to get for someone as young as you." Don't fall for that bs or feel pressured to buy it. You just called for a free quote. Do your free quotes online or via the phone, and then make sure you select the same coverage for each company and then make your decision.

Best of luck to you
Old 09-08-2012 | 03:52 PM

When I bought the car a week before I turned 20, Geico wanted $175/mo for full coverage. Everyone else wanted ~300-450 for the same coverage. My rate has dropped every 6 months since then and now I'm 22 paying 115/mo. Very happy with that!
Old 09-10-2012 | 10:03 PM

There's a big difference between a regular over the phone quote and a real quote.

Over the phone:
2-5 minutes
Somewhat accurate
Broad area
Pull you in
75% of the time your license and vin was never checked
60% by memory of age and car specific class (guessed quote)
Pull you in
Scare you by color or miles driven
Pull you in

Real quote:
5-10 mins depending on agent and computer speed
Spot on about premium cost and payments
Usually on site but nowadays mainly over the phone
Consists of:
Name, age, sex, marital status, zip code, vins, MVR (motor vehicle records), school, military, deductible, add ons (towing, rental, uninsured motorist), multipolicy (house, motorcycle, boat, rv), miles driven per vehicle (cheaper vehicles should be recorded for daily use).

All of that will determine your actual premium cost. I never asked for SS since drivers license should be ebough to run MVR.

Quick quotes can go from 49-69 dollars (use nines to make the first number look smaller).
Real quotes vary depending on MVR and VIN. COLOR does not matter (at least with my major conpany). Automatic electronic payments may reduce premium -10%, students with 3.0 may reduce another -10-20%, military status may reduce 20%, marital status can reduce premium. Specific drivers to certain vehicles will reduce premium especially when restrictions are set to non drivers.
Cars with limited resource will greatly affect your premium.
Example: Before buying the S, i quoted myself with a e46 m3 and a e92 m3. E46 monthly was $233. E92 was $113. Why the big jump...? Parts and resources.
There are many, MANY ways to reduce the premiums, you just need to know an agent or be very aggressive with quoting.

I use to be a broker/agent for a huge insurance company. I know most of the ins and outs of that business. If you need any help or tips on getting cheaper insurance let me know. I still have friends and family members who can help assist you if you are living and driving in california. Pm me for Q's, i don't mind helping a fellow S owner save a buck or two.
Old 09-11-2012 | 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Snowmoto125
I wonder why USAA is so expensive.
Again, rates vary on a number of variables. USAA isn't expensive for me.
Old 09-11-2012 | 05:08 AM

Asking a world wide forum for this type of information you are going to get HUGE variations. ALOT depends on the ZIP code you live in. My same policy where I live would be double in some places and I am sure it would be half what I pay in other places. Best way to find out what it will truly cost is to call for a quote
Old 09-11-2012 | 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by NoMoreCivicsPlease
You could call and just get an actual quote...
Exactly. These threads make no sense because insurance varies by person to person. Instead of asking a bunch of people on the Internet, ask the people who work for the companies.....