S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

insurance

Old 09-02-2012 | 04:18 PM

Default insurance

Hey does anybody know how much the insurance is going to cost for a s2k?

i'm a college freshman, 1 year safe driving with no tickets and 3.0-3.5 gpa
Old 09-02-2012 | 04:23 PM

It mostly depends on where you go to get insurance. I'm 22 years old and have full coverage with USAA, and it costs me $150 a month.
Old 09-02-2012 | 05:53 PM

My quote from USAA for an '00 with Full Coverage was $90, will probably come out to about $112 or so... I'm 19, 2 points on my license(43 in a 40, though I believe USAA forgives the first ticket), and a 3.0. This is my own policy, by the way
Old 09-02-2012 | 06:43 PM

Whats your 3 year driving history as a whole look like?
Old 09-02-2012 | 08:50 PM

You could call and just get an actual quote...
Old 09-02-2012 | 08:54 PM

from personal experience as a once young kid,...if ya gotta ask what its gonna cost, more than likely its too much to afford.
As said before though, there are WAY WAY too many factors to consider in this question. Your insurance is based off not only age, location, sex, but your credit report as well.
call and get a quote
Old 09-02-2012 | 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
from personal experience as a once young kid,...if ya gotta ask what its gonna cost, more than likely its too much to afford.

Maybe he's just being responsible and asking before digging himself in?

Even at my age (late 20s) with a fair paycheck, I still asked what my insurance would cost before I purchased the car. Praise the 'kid' for doing his research... don't belittle him.

I pay $150 for insurance through geico, with a clean record (no mistakes the past 3 years) and a good credit score - well over 650. In Texas. Expect higher. But there definitely are some companies that reward good grades. (edit: this is for an AP2)

As Sillyboy said, call and get a quote. HOWEVER, if you do start searching seriously, to get your most accurate quote, you better have a. your SS, b. your credit score, and (very helpfully) a VIN for them to attach your quote to. It is better to know your credit score as you go in, because your score gets pulled multiple times during a short period, it has a fair chance of going down some points.
Old 09-02-2012 | 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by postwarart
Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer' timestamp='1346648051' post='21983640

Maybe he's just being responsible and asking before digging himself in?

Even at my age (late 20s) with a fair paycheck, I still asked what my insurance would cost before I purchased the car. Praise the 'kid' for doing his research... don't belittle him.

I pay $150 for insurance through geico, with a clean record (no mistakes the past 3 years) and a good credit score - well over 650. In Texas. Expect higher. But there definitely are some companies that reward good grades. (edit: this is for an AP2)

As Sillyboy said, call and get a quote. HOWEVER, if you do start searching seriously, to get your most accurate quote, you better have a. your SS, b. your credit score, and (very helpfully) a VIN for them to attach your quote to. It is better to know your credit score as you go in, because your score gets pulled multiple times during a short period, it has a fair chance of going down some points.
Thank you this was extremely helpful. i've only been driving for about a year, i need to get a credit card and start building up my credit score. And you're compeltely right, i can afford the car in about a year but if the insurance is going to cost me 1/3 of what i paid for the car in year i don't think i'll be able to do it.
Old 09-04-2012 | 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by satten
Hey does anybody know how much the insurance is going to cost for a s2k?
As always with these threads, get some quotes. Too many variables to answer your question for you and what other pay isn't what you're going to pay. If you want to poll there are countless prior threads you can refer to:
https://www.google.com/search?q=insu...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Originally Posted by lunardeathgod
It mostly depends on where you go to get insurance.
Depends on a LOT more than just that. In addition to the insurance company, try:
  • Driving history
  • Age & gender
  • Marital status
  • Vehicle
  • Location of the vehicle
  • Miles driven and vehicle usage
  • Specific desired coverages: Liability only? Comprehensive? Collision? UIM? What $ coverage levels for all coverages? What deductible amounts? Other add-on's (rental reimbursement, towing, accident forgiveness, etc)?
  • Credit, depending on insurance company (not all use credit)
  • Applicable discounts (multiple vehicle, multiple insurance products, safety features on the vehicle, security features on the vehicle, etc)
...and I'm sure more variables that I can't recall off the top of my head.

Again, best way to find out is to get some quotes. Even if you could accurately answer to every variable costs will still vary from company to company.

Originally Posted by satten
And you're compeltely right, i can afford the car in about a year but if the insurance is going to cost me 1/3 of what i paid for the car in year i don't think i'll be able to do it.
Don't overlook the increased maintenance costs as well. The sticker price on the car is just a starting point.

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
Nonsense. Asking is the first step. You certainly might do things differently but I (and many others) don't buy insurance without a quote first. And I was certainly able to afford insurance as a young kid. Not on the S and not with the better insurance companies but affordability and inquiring into cost are unrelated. Be careful with such broad, sweeping generalizations.
Old 09-04-2012 | 11:05 AM

I'm 22, been driving since 17, clean history, but some places were quoting me at $400 a month which was more than my car payments. Luckily I was able to get it down to $150 from Geico with the bare minimum that my auto loan required ($500 deductibles on collision and comprehensive), this is also for living in downtown LA so I can't imagine it going any higher living anywhere else.

Quick Reply: insurance