S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Installing coil-overs myself this weekend...

Old 06-15-2001, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing coil-overs myself this weekend...

Got my Zeal Function B-6 coilovers this week. Man, what a work of art for suspension it is! I want to install it myself this weekend. Doesn't look very hard. The coilovers already came assembled, so I don't need a spring compressor.
Seems like just unbolt the two top mounts, and the pin at the bottom, and just swap.
Any other installation tips or recommendations?
I know I will need a 4-wheel alignment afterwards.
Thanks in advance!
Old 06-15-2001, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you probably know...use jackstands.

Looks like you know what you are talking about, so the only other advise I have for you is that it is a bit easier to do with a buddy.

Great purchase, and have fun on the instal!
Old 06-15-2001, 02:19 PM

socal28,

I also exchanged my shocks/coils with pre-mounted Mugen coilovers... my only recommendation: do not disassemble the ball-joints on the bottom A-arm to allow the coilover the space to go in/out... Instead, remove the two bolts that hold the top A-arm to the chasis, pull it towards you, and then turn it right/left out of the way... those two bolts are really easy to reinstall and torque.

Finally, do the rear left one first... it's the most difficult due to the gas piping that covers most of the top of the coilover's top mount bolts. If you do that one first and get pissed, the remaining three will put you in a better mood ... also in the rear, be careful not to drop the coilover's top mounting bolts into the little cavity that surrounds the shock mount inside the trunk... you will understand once you see it...

That's it! Have fun...
Old 06-15-2001, 02:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by shaner
also in the rear, be careful not to drop the coilover's top mounting bolts into the little cavity that surrounds the shock mount inside the trunk... you will understand once you see it...
After you drop it in there you should be able to retrieve it with a magnet on the end of a probe.
Old 06-15-2001, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by shaner
socal28,

I also exchanged my shocks/coils with pre-mounted Mugen coilovers... my only recommendation: do not disassemble the ball-joints on the bottom A-arm to allow the coilover the space to go in/out... Instead, remove the two bolts that hold the top A-arm to the chasis, pull it towards you, and then turn it right/left out of the way... those two bolts are really easy to reinstall and torque.
Shaner,
Thanks for the advice, I'm still kinda fuzzy in the lower ball joint pin removal you described.
Basically, take the two top mount nuts off first, pull the whole coilover setup toward you, then remove the pin at the bottom while moving it right/left?
Old 06-15-2001, 06:25 PM

Sorry I wasn't clear...

The rear set won't require any extraneous suspension piece removal or loosening... the fronts: the coilover goes between the top A-arm... you just remove the two bolts that hold the top A-arm to the frame and swing it out of the way.

Some people remove the ball joint but that is much more difficult...

I couldn't find any pictures, sorry...
Old 06-15-2001, 08:22 PM

Man, I must be dense or something. I still don't quite understand your instructions.
I have to replace the shocks and the springs. So, basically taking the whole unit (shock, spring and upper mount) out and putting in a new unit. With that in mind, do I still need to mess with the front ball joints?

Here's a sample pic...

Old 06-16-2001, 04:54 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by socal28
[B]Man, I must be dense or something.
Old 06-16-2001, 09:33 PM

socal28,

i was wondering where you got your zeals from? i'm looking for a pair myself. if you don't mind, can you also tell me how much you paid for them?

thanks, fish
Old 06-16-2001, 09:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fish
[B]socal28,

i was wondering where you got your zeals from?

Quick Reply: Installing coil-overs myself this weekend...