S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Install Help on Thermostat

Old 12-10-2001, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my Mugen thermostat and radiator cap today. My swaybar is on order from them.

I was wondering if anyone did up a step by step install of the thermostat? Any help would be appreciated, especially pictures! I did a search and came out with a very minimal description.

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2001, 10:46 AM

I have a Spoon on e sitting at home and I dont think I ever want to go through the trouble to install it. You must drain the radiator to do so. PM Henry or Mingster for info.

DaRKCrow
"Peace out!"
Old 12-10-2001, 11:05 AM

I heard its not that bad, but I think you have to go from the bottom and not the top to put it in easily.
Old 12-10-2001, 11:51 AM

The whole process isn't hard. Do you have a Helm manual to walk you through the steps? If you need it, I can try to scan the page for you.

Are you putting in a new thermoswitch? If not, I don't think you have to drain the radiator (I put in all three items, so I had to drain it).

Squeezer is right: use a wobble wrench and go from the bottom. You have to get one thermostat screw from in front of the motor mount and one screw from behind the mount. It is awkward, but not difficult. The thermoswitch is a piece of cake.

Tanq
Old 12-10-2001, 12:53 PM

No Helm manual, thats the problem! If you could scan it, that would be great. If it looks too hard I'll just wait until I get my swaybar and have them both done at the same time.
Old 12-10-2001, 01:12 PM

Ok, I will post it later tonight when I get home.

BTW: the sway bar is ridiculously easy. Undo 12 bolts, the old bar falls off, put on the new bar, tighten the bolts. The only interesting part is that you should partially tighten all of the bolts, then jack up one side to pre-load the bar, tighten the bolts on that side, then do the same thing to the other side. It will take longer to take off the plastic undertray than to install the bar.
Old 12-10-2001, 03:07 PM

Actually it is just tedious... you can do a search and someone has allready posted the install. Here is a few tips:

There is a nipple on the gasket... make sure it lines up with the notch on the thermostat and it will seal just fine. That one almost caught me

Make sure you have a clean bucket to drain your coolant in so you can reuse it.

PATIENCE!!! Take a deep breathe and an aroma therapy message before starting this Seriously you have to get to this from under the car and move some things around. Just keep your patience and all will go fine.

I installed the thermostat and thermoswitch myself. You won't be sorry.
Old 12-10-2001, 03:14 PM

KeithD,

Ok, I am looking at the Helm manual, page 10-12. It doesn't have any instructions, just a picture of the thermostat with the thermostat cover off...not too helpful The two cover bolts are torqued to 8.7lb-ft or 12 N-m.

As others have pointed out, when you take out the two bolts and remove the thermostat cover, you will get a face full of coolant if you aren't careful.

Sorry,
Tanq
Old 12-10-2001, 05:11 PM

I just it just depends on how adventurous I feel then!

Now I have a question about pre-loading the swaybar. All you do is bolt it on then jack up say the right side then tighten the right side bolts?
Old 12-10-2001, 07:16 PM

For install instructions, do a search for cdelena's threads in the Under the Hood forum. He's the one the rest of us turned to.

Quick Reply: Install Help on Thermostat