S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Input needed for Turbo Mafia Single Exhaust

Old 11-13-2007, 06:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Input needed for Turbo Mafia Single Exhaust

Anyone recently purchase a single exhaust from turbo mafia.

I was looking for a custom 2.75 inch exhaust with a resonator and magnaflow muffler but wondered if it would drone and how loud it might be.

If you purchased a 3 inch single exhaust, please provide some feedback on your setup.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2007, 06:25 PM

To note, ive seen users with dual magnaflow exhaust and a resonator with 2.5 inch piping and they reported that the drone is horrible over 70.

Is it the size piping causing all these issues or the mufflers. Isn't their a company which sells a similar stock s2k muffler but with larger piping since if you are running a 2.5 or 3 inch exhaust, you wont be able to use the stock muffler. The stock mufflers keep the car pretty quiete compared to most aftermarket exhaust. Im sure if some fabricated a single exhaust using the same size piping as the stock s2k that they wouldnt get all this drone and as some call it "bee Noise" coming from the exhaust..

Old 11-13-2007, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you just looking for the single side look but want to keep it quiet?

If this is the case.... then maybe you should just go down to your local exhaust shop and have them eliminate the resonator and fab up some new piping for just the one stock muffler. This would give you the single look and just a bit more tone for far less money.

P.S. If you look closely at their kits, there is no real magic there. Any competent exhaust shop can do the same thing with whatever muffler, cat, resonator, and pipe size combo. The pipes they use are not Mandrel bent like most after market exhaust systems , theirs is lots of small sections of pipe that are welded together to form the bends. Now if you don't know of a good exhaust shop that can do this for you, or they won't price match. Then sure, go with Turbo Mafia. ( what is up with that name? were are the turbo kits? Shouldn't it be called Muffler Mafia?)
Old 11-13-2007, 07:15 PM

I was thinking about just keeying the stock exhaust but you would run into the same problem with the diameter of the piping. I do want to increase the diameter but if the stock muffler is at 2 1/4 and the rest of the exhaust is 2 3/4(70mm) then that would cause a problem.

turbo mafia did advise me they used manderel bends. There is only one shop by my location which can offer me what turbo mafia offers, and their price was around 400 with a resonator and magnaflow muffler.

Turbo mafia's would be around the same price plus they include the correct flange.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by rikhemi,Nov 13 2007, 08:15 PM
I was thinking about just keeying the stock exhaust but you would run into the same problem with the diameter of the piping. I do want to increase the diameter but if the stock muffler is at 2 1/4 and the rest of the exhaust is 2 3/4(70mm) then that would cause a problem.

turbo mafia did advise me they used manderel bends. There is only one shop by my location which can offer me what turbo mafia offers, and their price was around 400 with a resonator and magnaflow muffler.

Turbo mafia's would be around the same price plus they include the correct flange.
Then maybe they are your best bet. What is your reasoning for wanting the larger diameter if you don't mind me asking?

By the way, they are not mandrel bent. they are welded sections!
see this post here! https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry11396386
as you can see in the pics...they are small angled sections welded together.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by screaminyellow,Nov 13 2007, 09:41 PM
Then maybe they are your best bet. What is your reasoning for wanting the larger diameter if you don't mind me asking?

By the way, they are not mandrel bent. they are welded sections!
see this post here! https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry11396386
as you can see in the pics...they are small angled sections welded together.
And what exactly is wrong with small welded sections of mandrel bends?
Old 11-13-2007, 07:57 PM

But if its welded woundnt it still be mandrel bends instead of just using crush bend.

Well thinking about purchasing a vafc, have the intake and have hear 70mm piping can get some extra hp.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:22 PM

I have one of their single exhausts, with the JDM dump muffler, w/o a resinator, and it's WAY too loud for me. I'm going to try to order a ES Oval black muffler to try and quite it down. If that doesn't work then i'm gonna get a resinator for it.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:07 AM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by A51_AP1,Nov 14 2007, 02:22 AM
I have one of their single exhausts, with the JDM dump muffler, w/o a resinator, and it's WAY too loud for me. I'm going to try to order a ES Oval black muffler to try and quite it down. If that doesn't work then i'm gonna get a resinator for it.
get a magnaflow round race exhaust, resonator and a turbo, that has helped my 3inch single TM exhaust stay quiet... albeit, i think the turbo had the greatest help with noise reduction
Old 11-14-2007, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by gotswap,Nov 13 2007, 08:43 PM
And what exactly is wrong with small welded sections of mandrel bends?
True mandrel bent piping is completely smooth inside and has the same diameter throughout. This helps optimize exhaust flow.

When you weld sections together to form your bends there is going to be bumps, ridges, slight differences and imperfections inside the pipes. This is not going to be as optimal as perfectly smooth pipes!

Now albeit the difference between the two will probably undetectable by the good old butt dyno. The only thing I was trying to point out is that any competent exhaust shop in your local area should be able to do the same job for the same money. And you wouldn't have to wait for it to get to your door, or even put it on! The shop would do all this for you. Most of us order and exhaust because we cant get a true Mandrel bent piece localy.

I also don't like their marketing claim that their exhaust will make more power then any other one. How is this possible? I have tried to get them to prove it with some dyno sheets or even test mine against a comparable one of theirs, but they never replied. I currently run an Invidia V3 dual setup with the Invidia resonator and O.E. cat. I dont see how they can give me a dual muffler setup with a resonator and make more power then the perfectly smooth inner diameter of my pipe when they have seams!

A disclaimer about my exhaust: I port matched the flanges. They were too small from the factory.

Quick Reply: Input needed for Turbo Mafia Single Exhaust