S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Initial '04 Thoughts

Old 01-31-2004, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Initial '04 Thoughts

Ok, I went and done it. Just over 50 miles on the odometer, 35 of them mine.

Here goes...

First, the car is a lot less 'manic'. A burbling engine noise is distinctive. The rest of the mechanicals subdued. I didn't detect any tire noise over the engine. The ride is firm yet controlled. Potholes are felt but absorbed. Similar to a BMW with the sport package, smoother than an M5 IMHO.

This extends to the controls. It seems to have a much better idea of straight ahead. And a more muted response to small highway inputs.

Still not quiet, but the time on the highway is no longer as much of a penalty for the two lane fun.

Second, side by side with a newly detailed '00, you have to look twice, maybe three times to tell them apart. Yes, the wheels are different, but you have to look at them to tell the difference. Even more so for the lights and rear exhaust.

A lot fuller mid range, or at least the perception of a full midrange. Between 3-5000 rpm the engine never feels like a struggling Miata. There is always a response. Although you would never confuse that response with a Corvette (to paraphrase Marisa Tomei).

Now is it real? The news releases say the throttle is quicker, always something that feigns more power. The gearing is a little tiny bit shorter. Also helping the perception of a bigger midrange. Is it better? I will let you know in 1000 miles.

Third, changing gears. It feels like someone took an earlier gearbox, lapped all the surfaces, a provided the smoothest of greases. Nearly eerie. The throws seem a little longer though.

Fourth, so that is what a car looks like behind an S2000!. The glass rear window provides a view that even a new plastic window can't match. Other changes since '00 include the clock on the dash, small compartments in the door, and a driver's floor mat held by two pegs instead of one. Material quality on the dash is a little better. Just a little. The aluminum trim (still haven't determined if it is real or not), appears no worse than the textured hard plastic on the '00.

Fifth, for me at least, the gauge display is a little better. The semi-circular secondary gauges are easier to read. For me, on the '00, the top of the rev range fell near my right hand. Sometimes it was difficult to read. The new one is in the center of the dash and easier to read. Just someone left off 1000 rpm!

Sixth, the radio is better. The '00 came with a setup that was marginal for AM. The new radio, with all adjustment to their center position, still allowed clear highs and a moderate bass.

Was it a good move. Well I still haven't tried the more questionable changes. When pushing on a two-lane blacktop, will it still feel as involved as before? The car is still too new and the roads to covered with snow and ice to try. Will the narrow 2000-rpm VTEC power band be too little? Still over 500 miles until I will find out.

David
Old 01-31-2004, 12:00 PM

narrow vtec band??? im pretty sure that the tec comes in now at 5300 dude. so you will still have 3000 worth of tec, same as before (6200-9200), now 5300 to 8200. anyways. that sparked my mind when i read that. so i posted what i know to see how many will chime in same or adverse. later dave
Old 01-31-2004, 12:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car has a radio? I haven't be able to find it - mine just has a panel blocking off the place where the radio should be.

Hope you enjoy your car and it behaves well for you. If only I was able to drive mine right now...
Old 01-31-2004, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2oooNvegas
narrow vtec band??? im pretty sure that the tec comes in now at 5300 dude.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:20 PM

Yeah, around 6k on my tach.

Kris
Old 01-31-2004, 02:24 PM

Mr. Koala,

Please check your order. I think the '04 GP White S2ks only come with tan seats.

David
Old 01-31-2004, 02:24 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Congrats on the new ride, and thanks for the report about it. Keep us posted as you get some more time behind the wheel, a report from a "real" owner who has owned an older version is more valuable to me than one from a magazine editor who just stepped out of a Hummer or Murcielago. Post a few pics!
Old 01-31-2004, 02:44 PM

Congrats David on the new ride

Can't wait to get mine, and reading your quick first glance makes waiting even harder
Old 01-31-2004, 02:54 PM

nice first impression, good luck with it
Old 01-31-2004, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by David NJ
Mr. Koala,

Please check your order. I think the '04 GP White S2ks only come with tan seats.

David
In Canada, they come GP White w/ red and black interior. We get different colour combo's than you do.

Link to build it

Quick Reply: Initial '04 Thoughts