S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

inexpensive and easy hidden ponies?

Old 12-18-2001, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I would have thought the same thing but I did a couple of stock runs first and they were very consistent (not more than a few tenths apart). I understand that from one pull to the next that you will see some variance but the fact that I changed the filters and produced that much of a difference seems a little too coincidental.

I can't argue with the fact that it may have been the dyno variance. Who knows? But like I said, even if the K&N did produce results it's not worth the money.
Old 12-18-2001, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only way you are going to significantly improve the performance of your car is with a better driver. This may sound weird but Honda didn't leave much on the table. You can tune it to death and gain a bit here and there but the only really honest and provable gain will be from behind the wheel. Aside from forced induction you will find little to improve on.

However, the mod thing is very intoxicating. I just bought a new flywheel which will probably net me nothing measurable but I will swear on my monther's life my car will be better for having it

Spend your money on performance driving courses and seat time at the track. Then talk with other owners, read the forums and buy mods that you feel will help in small ways.
Old 12-18-2001, 09:33 PM

[QUOTE]I just bought a new flywheel which will probably net me nothing measurable but I will swear on my monther's life my car will be better for having it
Old 12-18-2001, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xpander4
[B]
Old 12-19-2001, 03:06 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cthree
[B]The only way you are going to significantly improve the performance of your car is with a better driver. This may sound weird but Honda didn't leave much on the table. You can tune it to death and gain a bit here and there but the only really honest and provable gain will be from behind the wheel. Aside from forced induction you will find little to improve on.
Old 12-19-2001, 03:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A weekend at a performance driving school...
Old 12-19-2001, 04:53 AM

FYI...what about the weight to horsepower ratio......we all could afford to lose a few pounds our selves....at least myself!!! Whoa!!! a few more ponies unleashed and it actually didn't cost a bundle,just better nutrition
Old 12-19-2001, 05:16 AM

Awesome tips. Thanks, everyone, for your insights.

I had suspected---and hoped--that Honda left little on the table. It's really reassuring to learn that from people who've spent time and money to coax hidden ponies from their S2000s. I've bought a MGRacing air filter and a Zaino starter kit. The synthetic oil, etc. sound sensible. Beyond that, I believe I'll focus my mod budget on my baby's undeniably weak link: the stereo!

Otherwise, performance driving lessons should help me truly appreciate the wonder that is the S2000.

This is a great board...Thanks!

gohiking
Old 12-19-2001, 05:19 AM

Don't use the synthetic oil till 7500-10,000 miles or later.
Old 12-19-2001, 06:19 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by StwoK
[B]

Quick Reply: inexpensive and easy hidden ponies?