S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Indoor car cover for use in a working garage

Old Today | 05:02 AM
20 Year Member

Default Indoor car cover for use in a working garage

Hi Everyone. I'm looking for a new car cover for the S. In the winter the car is stored indoors in a heated garage that I use for storing and working on my boats and autos. The garage is heated but the dust created by sanding and grinding can be anything from wood, fiberglass, steel, aluminum...

I'm not interested in any of the big dollar custom covers that are tailored to the car. I just want something that will protect the car, stop dust from coming in contact with the paint and will not damage the paint. Carcover.com has an outdoor and an indoor car cover for about the same price. I like the indoor cover but worry that the satin material would not be suitable for protecting the car from contact with the industrial dust I create. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with either of these covers. If not, is there a cover you would recommend for the described conditions?

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

https://www.carcover.com/honda/s2000/2002.html
Old Today | 05:31 AM
Site Moderator
15 Year Member

Bill, think I'd suggest using the OEM Honda cover and then placing a tarp over it to keep the excess dust off the cover.

The one above might be just fine as well, but I'd stick a tarp of some kind on top either way, easier to clean a tarp than a cloth cover.
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (Today)
Old Today | 06:04 AM
10 Year Member

Same thought. Cover to protect the car from the tarp. Tarp does the heavy lifting. Replace tarp as needed over the years, while quality cover can last.

Maybe even storage blankets layer between cover and tarp, add layer of impact protection JIC.
windhund116 (Today)
Old Today | 07:11 AM
Gold Member (Premium)
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Same thought. Cover to protect the car from the tarp. Tarp does the heavy lifting. Replace tarp as needed over the years, while quality cover can last.

Maybe even storage blankets layer between cover and tarp, add layer of impact protection JIC.
In case anyone wondered, I had my cover dry cleaned several times. This is quite nice in getting any stains and embedded dust off the material.

The place I took it to, charged me $20.

Last edited by windhund116; Today at 07:13 AM.
Old Today | 07:52 AM
Site Moderator
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by windhund116
In case anyone wondered, I had my cover dry cleaned several times. This is quite nice in getting any stains and embedded dust off the material.

The place I took it to, charged me $20.
I've done mine at a laundromat to not annoy my wife, the issue on this one is the type of dust from what the OP is concerned with. In general terms though, dry cleaner or laundering the oem cover isn't a problem.
windhund116 (Today)
Old Today | 07:54 AM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Bill, think I'd suggest using the OEM Honda cover and then placing a tarp over it to keep the excess dust off the cover.

The one above might be just fine as well, but I'd stick a tarp of some kind on top either way, easier to clean a tarp than a cloth cover.
Is the OEM cover still available, Sam? The only one I could find on line was $580 and it wasn't being sold by a dealer. The dealership sites I looked at say "unavailable."
Old Today | 08:16 AM
10 Year Member

I have been using CoverKing for many years. I have used them for covering my airport beater car(s) for literally decades. I usually was gone for 12 days a month and it kept the car clean and free from UV damage. They lasted about 3 years from constant outdoor use.

I also bought one for my S2000 that is inside a garage just like what you want. I cover it up when not in use and during the rainy months. ( I also use a batter minder during that time) I have not washed it but being on a hill, it is easy to shake the dust out. I do not put it on a dirty car but my S is rarely dirty.

Inexpensive compared to the custom ones. I roll it up from one end and place the wad on top of a tent trailer also in the garage for frequent use.

windhund116 (Today)
Old Today | 09:00 AM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
I have been using CoverKing for many years. I have used them for covering my airport beater car(s) for literally decades. I usually was gone for 12 days a month and it kept the car clean and free from UV damage. They lasted about 3 years from constant outdoor use.

I also bought one for my S2000 that is inside a garage just like what you want. I cover it up when not in use and during the rainy months. ( I also use a batter minder during that time) I have not washed it but being on a hill, it is easy to shake the dust out. I do not put it on a dirty car but my S is rarely dirty.

Inexpensive compared to the custom ones. I roll it up from one end and place the wad on top of a tent trailer also in the garage for frequent use.
Interesting. I'd be concerned about a $60 cover putting fine lines in the paint. You haven't had that experience?
windhund116 (Today)
Old Today | 09:38 AM
Site Moderator
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Is the OEM cover still available, Sam? The only one I could find on line was $580 and it wasn't being sold by a dealer. The dealership sites I looked at say "unavailable."
That I'm not sure of, I keep forgetting a lot of parts are being discontinued. I paid under $200 for the last one I bought but that's a few years ago now. I wanted a spare and I switch them over every other year in between washes.

I think the one in your link would be fine.
Old Today | 09:43 AM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by sam_spider
That I'm not sure of, I keep forgetting a lot of parts are being discontinued. I paid under $200 for the last one I bought but that's a few years ago now. I wanted a spare and I switch them over every other year in between washes.

I think the one in your link would be fine.
Thanks Sam. This discussion was helpful. I think I'll go with the multi-layer for the additional padding. If I decide to throw a tarp over it, I won't need a blanket in between the two of them.

Quick Reply: Indoor car cover for use in a working garage