S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Importing S from Canada

Old 11-24-2003, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

I'm just thinking out loud here, but I was wondering what was involved with buying a car in Canada and bringing it into the States. My ideal S in North America would be the white with blue interior (I'd also try to get my hands on a blue top...I think Cardude in CO had one). Since it's only sold up north, I'm outta luck unless bringing it down to the States isn't too much. So, what do I need to know? What are the tax, certification, and other issues? Also, are there any differences between U.S. and Canada market cars other than color choice?

Thanks a bunch.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Warranty will probably be a problem. Importing a car from canada you would lose the warranty.

I really don't think its worth it just for white with blue interior.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:07 PM

My wife is a Canadian citizen & brought here car across about 6 years ago. I looked into getting a US title for her car & found it was a pain in the a$$. You needed to get 2 or 3 federal agencies to sign off on the car. (DOT, EPA & Customs?? ). If you could get a letter from the mfg saying that the car was identical to a US car, the process got easier. The rules may have changed since then.

I decided that it was not worth it (for a $250 rust-bucket Subaru) and just junked it.

EDIT: There is EPA stuff here: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/canadian.htm

and NHTSA stuff here: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import...anada07032.html

--Mike
Old 11-24-2003, 06:10 PM

Warranty...hmmmm...that may not be that big of a deal. Honda's warranties are only 3yr./36,000 miles, and in my experience, I've never needed the warranty. Never had anything go wrong in that period. Obviously, it would be a risk if the warranty would not be honored.

I just think that is a sweet combination (I really dislike the tan with white...sorry to any '03 and later white owners, but that's just my $.02 worth). I also think it would be cool to have the only one around.

Any other drawbacks?
Old 11-24-2003, 06:15 PM

After a quick galnce at the above links it looks like a speedo swap is required for NTHSA & that paperwork is required for EPA (maybe).

Why not look for a blue interior from a Suzuka?
Old 11-24-2003, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by jankemi

and NHTSA stuff here: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import...anada07032.html

--Mike
Thanks. I checked out the NHTSA website briefly, and it looks like you just need the letter from Honda. Doesn't sound too bad.

Like I said, though, I was just thinking out loud. May be worth looking into.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:23 PM

Maybe someone who does it for a living could get a you quote on geting it done. I'm sure that there are people doing it.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jankemi
After a quick galnce at the above links it looks like a speedo swap is required for NTHSA & that paperwork is required for EPA (maybe).

You may want to PM Plyrs3, he just did the same except in reverse (US to Canada).
Old 11-24-2003, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by matrix
You may want to PM Plyrs3, he just did the same except in reverse (US to Canada).
Really? What did he get that isn't available in Canada? I have no idea what their color choices are up there (other than white with blue).

Quick Reply: Importing S from Canada