S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I'm sick of people flashing their lights at me!

Old 04-22-2004, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happens all the time. Giving them a taste of the highs sure gets them.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:59 AM

I don't see why everyone immediately puts the other guy at blame. Try this experiment- stand 4 or 5 or 10 carlengths in front of your parked S2000 with the low beams on. Face the car and crouch down a bit to approximate the height you'd be at if you were sitting in an oncoming car. As you go down notice that the lights don't look all that bright at all- nothing to flash over. Now keep crouching down a bit further to account for crests and all that bouncing that you see the light cutoff do over bumps. Right when you get to the cutoff, *BAMMM* I guarantee you'll know it.

I love the S2000 as much as you guys, but the fact is the lights are crazy bright below the cutoff, which bounces around like crazy, and due to the sharp nature of it it looks an awful lot like you are the one flashing to anyone who doesn't know our car well. In addition all that light comes from a tiny point source which makes it even more blinding. Most other cars have some combination of a larger source, less illumination, a softer cutoff, or better control of that cutoff.

I'm just saying go out there and experience what it's like yourself before you assume the other person is crazy or out to get you. Try walking in their shoes. I mean think about it, why do people flash anyway? Because they feel blinded by what they think are your hi-beams. Or maybe the just want to tell you what a cool car you have

I feel bad about it, but the least you can do is let it slide.

Peter
Old 04-22-2004, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by BustedShox
Is it true that with the JDM Headlights the beam pattern is even worse for other drivers when they come directly at you or is there no difference ?
Yes I believe so because their step pattern is a mirror image of ours. It's higher on the left side than on the right.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I understand where they are coming from -- if you ever encounter an S2000 on a dark night you will too.

Late at night on the Interstate somewhere in Idaho every single car and truck going the other way ... about 1 per minute would flash me.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:08 AM

I have the opposite problem. The car is low enough that SUVs and large bloated cars have their headlight reflect right into the rear-view mirror. So I'm getting 'flashed" from behind.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:49 AM

i never have that problem. I jsut adjust the head lights a bit lower... the lights come badly adjusted form factory
Old 04-23-2004, 07:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by devilchrist
i never have that problem.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jarod
Old 04-23-2004, 10:32 AM

I read in consumer debates the petitions are going around to try and get HIDs made illegal becuase of safety concerns. The issue was before the NTSB. After reading that, I stopped flashing my beams back, i think that really pissed off people who have had bad experiences with HID cars are more likely to sign something or even seek one out.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:56 AM

One time driving home from a friend's house, (with the cruise control on at 55mph), a Toyota Highlander merged onto the highway that I was on. I was behind the person for about 10 secs. As soon as I passed the Highlander, he puts on his highbeam and starts tailgating me. (I'm assuming he thought I was high beaming him?) The highway that I was on doesn't have many street lights. So anyway, I got annoyed, so I slowed down and I got behind him and turned on my highbeams and followed him until I had to exit. What can I tell you. I got agitated so I gave him a taste of his own medicine.

Quick Reply: I'm sick of people flashing their lights at me!