S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Is it illegal to redline your car?

Old 05-08-2001, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's say the speed limit is 45mph and you are stoped at the stop sign, and a cop is behind you. Now do you think you can get a ticket if you punch the gas and hit the VTEC but don't go over the speed limit? I guess I am asking "does it matter how fast you get to the speed limit?" (rapid acceleration)

I am asking you this because I was driving home late one night and I was stoped at the lights. And no one was around. So when the lights turned green I punched it. (But only in the first gear) When I shifted into second gear, I noticed a car on the other side of the road so I slowed down. (I never went over the speed limit) And sure enough, it was a cop. He just gave me a dirty look as I passed by. I wonder if he would have pulled me over if he was behind me.

[Edited by Platinum on 05-08-2001 at 11:08 AM]
Old 05-08-2001, 09:50 AM

yes it does... exhibition of speed is probably what you will get a ticket for you if tried it...

-Shing
Old 05-08-2001, 09:53 AM

Unsafe display of speed or reckless driving is a possibility.

My former secretary came to visit so I gave her a ride in my S2000. We went down the hill to Pacific Coast Highway I made a left and punched it up to about 50 then slowed down. Behind the first row of cars waiting at the red light on PCH was a Newport Beach motorcycle policeman. He pulled me over and said I was going a bit fast. I told him I reckoned I had been showing off a bit. He gave me a warning ticket.

Just love that VTEC rush - the hilarious ferocity of it all!

2x6spds
Old 05-08-2001, 09:59 AM

So technically we can never hit VTEC in public roads? Wow, that sucks. I guess I'll shift at 5000rpm from now on... Not
Old 05-08-2001, 10:04 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back when I was a bit wilder, like high school, I recall 'exhibition of acceleration' being handed out fairly frequently to my circle of compadres...and I recall that particular violation being the spinning of tires, not of rapid acceleration.

It may be different where you are, but in Houston where I grew up, that how that one was defined. But Chris is right, you can get popped for just about anything anytime anywhere.

Makes me do this -----> and sometimes this ---->

But either way, it's true...
Old 05-08-2001, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Platinum,
You can VTEC it, but just slowly! Like going to 30mph in first gear in 30secs!
Old 05-08-2001, 10:08 AM

the good news is that it's a lot harder for the cop to nail you in the s2k than in a torque monster. You aren't going to be accelerating strongly from a stop until you hit 25; he's going to have a hard time figuring out that you went from 25 to 40 in about a second. Here is a case where the rev limiter is your friend, again: from 2k start to rev limiter is not very long, and pleasingly keeps you under a posted 45, just like an F1 or CART pit lane limiter.

I don't think I'd do it with the bubblegum machine right behind me, though.

-dB
Old 05-08-2001, 10:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Platinum
[B]So technically we can never hit VTEC in public roads?
Old 05-08-2001, 10:16 AM

I just heard the Supreme Court of the US stated a police office could place a person in jail for violating a simple traffic ordnance. I don
Old 05-08-2001, 10:18 AM

There is a fine called "Exhibition of Acceleration".

Sounds cool eh?

Quick Reply: Is it illegal to redline your car?