S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

If you mess with the Bull...

Old 03-27-2001, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When it took 25 minutes for the cop to write the ticket, I knew I was in deep.
Last night I was chilling out (driving near the posted speed limit) going to my girls house, which just happens to be at the end of a smooth, slightly entertaining 13 mile road that is all but desolate, when Johnny Law (the Bull) decided that he was going to make an example out of me.

I came upon three cars going between 40, and 45mph (55mph speed limit). The car in the front was holding everyone up, and everyone was just tailgaiting the guy instead of passing him. I waited for the opportunity and shot past, signaling on my way out (I have a fear that someone will try to pass at the same time I do one day and wreck us both, and signaling is the propper thing to do anyway). The moment I got around the cars I knew why everyone was waiting. Lights, Camera, Action...

About a mile down the road, here he came...to collect.

His first words were "you were goin' so fast I couldn't get a lock on you, but you were over a hundred mile an' hour" (I wrote them down). Now, to be honest, that could be true, but I certainly wasn't trying to go that fast, I really just wanted by, and as soon as I was, I slowed to 60 again. No matter, he wasn't having any of my pleading...he returned to his cruiser.

25 minutes later he returned with 3 citations, and the comment..."you've got two choices, I can arrest you now and take you to jail for excessive speed, or you can sign these three citations and appear in court". 3 Citations??????????Hmmm...let me think. I, naturally, pleaded my case once more and even asked him if he believed me, his response was..."all I know is what I saw and what I heard".

The first ticket was for 99 in a 55, which begs the question, if he couldn't get a lock on me, how could he give me a ticket for speeding?
The second ticket was for failure to signal. I explained that I did signal when entering the opposite lane, but forgot to signal coming back. No matter.
The third ticket was for my Comptech licence plate frame that seemed to be covering my experation sticker on my plate.

Did I mention this was out-of-state? Did I fail to mention that this was in Illinois? Have I forgotten to realize this is the end of the month?

The cop only did one thing that was weird. He said since I was out of state he wasn't going to take my license. This is weird because the custom is just the opposite. Oh well...attorney time.

"If you mess with the Bull, sooner or later you're gonna get the horns."

Andrew
Old 03-27-2001, 05:37 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Where in IL was this?
Old 03-27-2001, 06:15 AM

One question...do you have a radar detector? If yes, I assume you had no time to react, which has happened to me, but I was lucky and only got a warning.
Old 03-27-2001, 06:38 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Goodluck! Sounds like it sucked!

Scot
Old 03-27-2001, 07:10 AM

Interesting! Quotta time of month and out of state - OUCH! Sorry to hear the news, I am sure you made his day by giving him 3 for 1. I guess he could go have coffee and donuts the rest of the night.

Lawyer and court sound fair enough, if he does not show to contest you will probably pleed your case and win. After all you were speeding to pass the slower cars safely to ensure you got out of the opposing lane of traffic safely and timely. Weren't you?
Old 03-27-2001, 07:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The law (in CO anyway) states that the officer has to proove (on his radar gun) that you were going the speed stated on the citation, if he can't, no ticket. May be a little late to know this but, keep it in mind.
The other two, I can't help you with.
Also seems a little weird that the cop was going well below the limit (baiting the traffic), What an ass hole!!
My .02
Old 03-27-2001, 12:16 PM

Just wondering...How many cars did you pass?!?!
Old 03-27-2001, 12:32 PM

I don't know about IL, but I remember from my Traffic School fiasco in CA, that it's illegal to exceed the speed limit in order to overtake a vehicle which is going slower than the limit. What a really dumb law!
Old 03-27-2001, 02:33 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

That sucks. And sounds familiar.

I had just waxed my baby and decided a nice little ride was in order. Forget that it was midnight when I went out.

Well, I was just cruising (doing maybe 4 over the speed limit, no less) when a big white Van comes cruising past at least 15 over the limit... With a city cop in tow.

Does the cop take the time to write a reasonable speeding ticket? No. He pulls past me, then slows down and pulls behind me, flips on the lights...

Turns out he thought my "blue headlights" were essentially Rice (lots of rice around there). I pulled out the manual to show him "High Intensity Discharge". He was unimpressed. So I didn't get a ticket for that, but he decided it was worth half an hour of my time and $50 each for no front tag (MD law, apparently) and expired license (by a few days... what an ass).

Couldn't just give me a warning. Couldn't have ticketed the speeder. Like he's got nothing better to do than write pitiful stupid tickets for crap like this.

- Chris
Old 03-27-2001, 03:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by animeS2K
[B]That sucks. And sounds familiar.

Turns out he thought my "blue headlights" were essentially Rice (lots of rice around there). I pulled out the manual to show him "High Intensity Discharge". He was unimpressed. So I didn't get a ticket for that, but he decided it was worth half an hour of my time and $50 each for no front tag (MD law, apparently) and expired license (by a few days... what an ass).

Quick Reply: If you mess with the Bull...