S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Ideal RPM's

Old 09-19-2002, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideal RPM's

I was just wondering what were the ideal rpm's in terms of fuel efficiency for the S2k. The manual suggests changeover rpm's, but stops short of saying what RPM is good for cruising at certain speeds.

Lets say:

20mph

40mph

80mph

what would you guys say as the ideal rpm range (remember, the purpose is for efficiency, not power or anything)
Old 09-19-2002, 11:30 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I see you have 40 views and no replies. This could possibly be that many people are thinking, "Why buy a car like this and worry about fuel economy?" It's already a Honda and already gets way better gas economy than any other "sporty or muscle" car. But if you must have an answer, the a generic one would be something like this:

Drive the car at the lowest rpm possible in any gear at any speed while NOT lugging the engine and you'll get the best fuel economy. As soon as you begin to lug the engine, you will not only worsen your fuel economy but also damage your engine.

Word of advice: just enjoy the car and don't worry about a couple extra mpg. If you can't do this, you shoulda bought a VW diesel or a gas/electric hybrid.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by xviper
As soon as you begin to lug the engine, you will not only worsen your fuel economy but also damage your engine.
I've heard this "fact" about lugging engines for many years. A few years ago, an automotive columnist in Car and Driver (or maybe it was Kevin Cameron in a motorcycle magazine) explored this theory with someone who designs engines for a major automobile manufacturer, and the conclusion was that lugging a modern engine doesn't hurt anything. I would love to see a reference from a reputable source saying that it does.

The S2000 engine seems happy as low as 2000 rpms with any amount of throttle. My Ducati V-Twin doesn't seem to like much of anything below 3000 rpms unless I'm in a low gear.

As for fuel economy, I agree with your advice to just shift at low engine speeds, plus don't give it much throttle. Driving at high altitude seems to make a difference for some reason as well.

Personally, I think anybody who spends a large percentage of their time worrying about fuel economy or tire mileage doesn't deserve to own an S2000.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by scottrnelson
[B]and the conclusion was that lugging a modern engine doesn't hurt anything.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by scottrnelson
[B] A few years ago, an automotive columnist in Car and Driver (or maybe it was Kevin Cameron in a motorcycle magazine) explored this theory with someone who designs engines for a major automobile manufacturer, and the conclusion was that lugging a modern engine doesn't hurt anything.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:04 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what xviper said...
i would be more worried about not hearing the vtec than gas mileage. you cant listen to the beauty of vtec and get good gas mileage!
Old 09-19-2002, 06:52 PM
jzr

Originally posted by scottrnelson
Personally, I think anybody who spends a large percentage of their time worrying about fuel economy or tire mileage doesn't deserve to own an S2000.
This seems to be a common sentiment in this thread, but let me present a different perspective.

Every month or two I find myself driving huge distances across this country, returning from a few days spent wringing the car out on some curvy bit of asphalt, or dodging cones on an abandoned airstrip. When your ears are still ringing from the exhausts of other racecars in days past, you've already been through two tanks of gas that day, and you've got 3 or 4 more tanks to go before you get home, the last thing on your mind is enjoying the spirited and boisterous VTECing nature of the S2000. At that point all you want is a big La-Z-Boy with a steering wheel and as much comfort as possible.

But since it's good to have some objective other than "arriving safely", you have the choice of going for speed, mileage, or some combination. I usually go for speed on the way there, mileage on the way back. In my recent journey to Topeka, I made the drive from San Diego in 22 hours. That's 1700 miles at an average of 77 mph with stops. You can bet I did some speeding, and at those times driving takes 100% concentration, if not for the act of driving, but for dodging tickets.

On the way back I had 2 or 3 tankfuls returning >30mpg. This, with big fat Kumho race tires and the A/C on. The car is a lot quieter at 75 than 95. At these times it's fun to try to do little things to eke out every last bit of economy, since you're not going to make record time. I've been tempted to hyper-inflate the tires, cruise at 65, shut the car off on downhills, etc. I bet the car could return >40mpg in favorable weather, without being too terrible a nuisance to fellow motorists. Best I've done so far is 35mpg, without any of those tricks. One day maybe...
Old 09-20-2002, 03:36 AM

I dont really think the point is about whether a person deserves to own a car like an s2000 if he is concerned about fuel economy. Mind you, the car is nice and alls good, but if you consider that

1) a 325Ci .. which cruises very quietly and is more fuel efficient than the s2000

2) a 200sx or Silvia S15 which is faster and also more fuel efficient than the S2000

then I think that all the hype about getting VTEC and the magic of it really is not that great. If we are talking about a convertible ... then I agree that is not the question. But if you consider that in a trip, cruising at same speeds, with periodic bursts of VTECing (as compared to turbo on the S15), the fuel consumption came out to be 1.5 times more .....

Therefore the reason was to see at what RPM's are most effective. One person can drive at 6-9k rpm all the time and yeah you got the power band that you may crave ... but surely that is not the point.
Old 09-20-2002, 03:38 AM

But thanks anyway XViper for that recommendation .. I am sure that it can be applied to the other manual cars that I drive ....
Old 09-20-2002, 03:45 AM

Indeed JZR ... I totally agree with you on that. Taking in mind that on days that I plan to take the car out for some serious VTECing ... I know that the tank would last pitence ... no problems with that ...

but when just cruising ... well sometimes it is good to know that the car is not guzzling petrol even when you are just driving slowly ...

Quick Reply: Ideal RPM's