S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I need your help with this one

Old 06-18-2005, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need your help with this one

Okay I've decided on getting an S2000. I was initially going to buy a 2005, but since we're so far in the year, and the 06' are (possible) a couple months away, i figured i would wait for the 06. I was talking to my honda dealer guy and he said that they have no idea whether or not there's going to be an 06, so i asked him what he thinks i should do ( i knoew he was going to tell me to get an 05) and he said, "what if there is no 06 and when you look for your color and whatnot you won't be able to find it because they're selling like hotcakes because they're discontinued. So what do you think i should do? get an 05 now, or wait until september and see what happens with honda? thanks.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:52 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HelloEvo,Jun 18 2005, 08:22 PM
I was talking to my honda dealer guy and he said that they have no idea
OMG a sales rep actually telling the truth!

Seriously the way to tell when a sales rep is lying is to watch their mouth. If their lips are moving...
Old 06-18-2005, 02:55 AM

Any differences between 05 and 06 should be quite minor, if any. Do you want to drive the car now, or months from now?

Does where you live have an impact on demand for a roadster? I bought mine in mid November because it was a cold rainy day and there were a handful on the lot, and so I thought I could get a better choice of color and a better price buying at that time of the year.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:54 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay - since this is a thread asking for purchasing advice, and not asking about 2006 stuff I'm going to let it fly.......someone could think differently down the road though.

HelloEvo - there will be a 2006 I hold a corporate position with a dealer group who carries a Honda store, and trust me Honda would have let us know if they were killing the S2000 by now. They usually give us 1-2 years notice, so we do not continue making marketing campaigns and what not. Sometimes we don't tell the store when a manufacturer is getting rid of car till a few months before it happens, but we've received no word from Honda on the S.

There will be a slight price increase on the 2006, and that is about all I can say. You're at a time in the year where buying a 2005 or waiting for a 2006 isn't going to make a difference financially because I would assume you can get the 2005 with a decent discount on it right now, while you're going to pay a little more for the 2006 down the road.

With that I'm going to have to say I agree with karwath: Do you want the car now or later?
Old 06-18-2005, 05:06 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I waited for the next year to come out. It was kinda hard to do, but i guess it
depends on how bad you want the car.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:47 AM

The only semi-serious sounding rumors I've seen suggest an addition of possibly two new colors, revised wheels and the headrest speakers becoming standard. You can get the speakers already if that's a big deal and I can't imagine the wheels will be earth shattering. The only reason I could see for waiting would be the possibility of a color addition if you're not already set on a presently available color.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:18 AM

Does anyone know if automobile manufacturers plan ahead for a reduction in sales of a current model year (by producing fewer cars) during a year when a major update will be announced? if so, is there anyway to get info on how many 05s Honda plans to manufacture? I'm sure that this method will be confounded by declines in sales that prompted the design changes, but careful monitoring of manufacturing projections could be used to answer some of the questions about a significant change in the 06 S. I know, I know, just questions ... Sorry I don't have any answer and the projected sales numbers are probably an internal Honda secret anyway.

Thank you
Old 06-18-2005, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Poindexter,Jun 18 2005, 04:54 AM
Okay - since this is a thread asking for purchasing advice, and not asking about 2006 stuff I'm going to let it fly.......someone could think differently down the road though.

HelloEvo - there will be a 2006 I hold a corporate position with a dealer group who carries a Honda store, and trust me Honda would have let us know if they were killing the S2000 by now. They usually give us 1-2 years notice, so we do not continue making marketing campaigns and what not. Sometimes we don't tell the store when a manufacturer is getting rid of car till a few months before it happens, but we've received no word from Honda on the S.

There will be a slight price increase on the 2006, and that is about all I can say. You're at a time in the year where buying a 2005 or waiting for a 2006 isn't going to make a difference financially because I would assume you can get the 2005 with a decent discount on it right now, while you're going to pay a little more for the 2006 down the road.

With that I'm going to have to say I agree with karwath: Do you want the car now or later?
This is just what I heard and assuming if it's going to be true.

What I heard is a 3% increase, so assuming invoice is at ~$30000 (as now is about ~$29800), so it will bump up to ~$900. Assuming it's true, with the added standard (headrest speakers, revised wheels, outside temp gauge, new colors, and Daytime Running Lights), does it worth $900 to you for all the added standard?

I am still in the market for 05 myself. For me, I would rather buy now since I can get S2k way below invoice now and the added standard doesn't justify $900 to me since I will be upgrading my sound system and my wheels , and I already know my color (unless they come out with Ferrari yellow, which means I am going to kill them right away ). (so it leaves me only with outside temp gauge features and DRL and those two doesn't justify my $900 increase)
Old 06-18-2005, 11:11 AM

The only reason i would wait for the 06 is because i'm going to lose so much money because the car is going to be a year old the day i bring it home. Other than that i'm down for getting the 05.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HelloEvo,Jun 18 2005, 11:11 AM
The only reason i would wait for the 06 is because i'm going to lose so much money because the car is going to be a year old the day i bring it home. Other than that i'm down for getting the 05.
ehh, yes and no.

while your average prices go down year to year, there is a good deal of variance. for example, some 2002s sell for more than some 2003s, etc.

a 2005 with low mileage is worth more than an early 2005 with more mileage.

All in all, you're probably talking about $1500-2000 difference between a late 2005 and early 2006 (selling prices).

Quick Reply: I need your help with this one