S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I need a lawyer

Old 06-16-2001, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by MacGyver
It finally happened...
Do a search on "tickets". There is a thread on payment of fine; that basically you pay five over the fine, they send you a check for the difference and you never cash it. This leaves the case open indefinetly.
Old 06-16-2001, 10:42 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacGyver
[B]

Buddy, you don't know the half of it...

I cut my losses with my girlfriend of three years, signed a lease on a new apartment closer to where I work and further from Boston (a job I was let go from 3 days later...go figure), $175 speeding ticket, and constant self-reminders I haven't finished my research yet.

If fate has something more in store for me, bring that bad bitch on!
Old 06-16-2001, 10:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacGyver
[B]But I still got my health
Old 06-16-2001, 04:40 PM

Phantom/Unicron,

What lawyer do you use? I was charged $130, had my court date reset and them missed it due to an alarm clock that malfunctioned, had to post bond (which meant more $$$$$), and am now in the process of having another court date rescheduled due to the flood. And all of this for a speeding ticket that I was not guilty of (really) in a BLACK %$#$%@$!! CIVIC!!!!!!!!

Ok......I'm thru venting now.
Old 06-17-2001, 12:07 PM

MacGyver

Just want to share my $.02, as I have had plenty of experience with tickets.

First of all, if the guy wasn't able to radar you, he is being an a**h*le by giving you the 75+ ticket - that puts you at 20+ mph over the speed limit, which is the big fine (and more points). I got a ticket a little over a year ago (did my probation, nothing on my record now) and the policewoman said she paced me at 70+ in a 45, but she cut me some slack and put me at the 10-19mph over limit ($65 fine).

Also, when I was in court once (in Maryland), I heard testimony that indicated the cop has to pace you for at least 1/4 mile to have a "valid" speed reading. I have tried to verify this, but haven't been successful yet.

Finally, how is your record? If this is your first ticket in a while (at least a 4-5 years or more), chances are you can plead guilty, say as how you haven't had a ticket in a while and probably get PBJ - probation before judgement. They take your money (of course), but suspend the points for one year; if you stay clean for that year, the ticket is removed from your driving record and it's like it never happened - your insurance doesn't hear about it or anything. I have done this several times over my driving lifetime.

Your problem is the 20+ over the limit, which is getting the big fine. A good lawyer can probably at least get your ticket knocked back to the 10-19 mph over category; maybe lower if the cop didn't pace you for that 1/4 mile.
Old 06-17-2001, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nvmys2k posted this link back in December.

I think it will help.

http://www.angelfire.com/ok/neurofeedback/...k/speedtic.html

Dan, you've done so much to help me, I hope you get over this rough spot in good shape. As you said before, you've got your health and your abilities and some money. You will be fine.

Barry
Old 06-17-2001, 06:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And it gets worse...

I forgot to mention some retread whacked my front bumper a couple of miles before the cop pulled me over...checked it out yesterday and it left some deep scratches. On my way to a friends' house today a rock popped up and broke my windshield.

I feel my trigger finger twitching...
Old 06-19-2001, 11:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, I'm no longer laughing...I joked a bit about having four flat tires. Went down to the garage last night and WHAT DO YOU KNOW...rear flat tire. Took it to Sears, jacked it up, yanked the wheel, and I wasn't lucky enough to get just a screw...I got a wide blade of metal stuck in it.

The ONLY luck I've had was their mushroom plug seemed to do the trick, but even THEY weren't sure if they could fix it. I have the Potenza 730's, and they only have like 2000 miles on them!

At least I'm getting calls for jobs...

Thanks for everyone's support!
Old 06-19-2001, 01:04 PM

Dan, Wow. When it rains... it pours. Well I know it can only get better. Good luck with the job prospects! And it sounds like they are calling!
Old 06-19-2001, 01:28 PM

They say that bad things come in threes. You're already up to five bad things this week! Someone's obviously got a big hex on you, for sure! Perhaps that means you'll win the lottery next week. If anyone deserves some good luck, you do!

Quick Reply: I need a lawyer