S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I need help from the NJ guys, I crashed my S2 today!!

Old 03-04-2004, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help from the NJ guys, I crashed my S2 today!!

This morning I got up to go to school and was running kind of late, so i get down to this intersection and there was a row of cars on the right lane, I got on the left lane because I was going to make a left into a parking lot, the left lane is a left turn lane only. So as I am traveling down the left lane at about 30 MPH a taxi cab comes up and gets infront of me at the last second. I had almost no time to hit the brakes, the road was wet and I am running summer tires. I slid right into the cab with my right front corner into his. Cops came and I told him what happened. The taxi had the stop sign, im guessing he stopped but decided to inch forward, we were both sort of blinded because of an SUV in the right lane right at the corner. It was the guys first day on the job.
I know NJ is a no fault state but I need to know more or less what im up against, the last thing I want is to get points on my insurance, I already have 5 due to 2 previous accidents that were my my fault like 3 years to go. Any info is apreciated.

Old 03-04-2004, 10:51 AM

Points aren't your only concerns.

Insurance companies compile a history of your claims and involvements in accidents, even if it's not your fault. They base your premiums and risk assessments on the number of claims you've filed. Try to fix it yourself if you can avoid notifying your insurance co. If no tickets were issued, they'll never know about it.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:53 AM

Sorry to hear that. Was the SUV parked illegally? From your diagram, it looks like it was in the intersection and that sould be a red on the curb.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:25 AM

The SUV wasn't parked, none of the cars in the right lane were parked, they were waiting at the light.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:28 AM

They were waiting at the light? Does that mean you ran a red?
Old 03-04-2004, 11:38 AM

Were either of you written a citation? That makes a world of difference in NJ. My wife was in an accident in Somerville, and we made a claim. Our rates did not go up, and our "tier" wasn't changed, since the other guy was written a ticket and my wife wasn't (he rear-ended her, essentially). In addition, the other guy's insurance company had to pay our deductible.

"No-fault" is basically a bunch of crap. The tier rating system, surcharges, etc., make sure that insurance penalties effectively get levied after accidents.

BTW, who is your insurance company?
Old 03-04-2004, 11:45 AM

No one was written a ticket but the cop did kinda raise his voice at the taxi driver saying that he had to yeild to me since he had the stop sign. My insurance company is Proformance founders insurance. I won't be making a claim through my insurance, im going directly to his insurance.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:48 AM

The SUV wasn't parked, none of the cars in the right lane were parked, they were waiting at the light.
the taxi driver saying that he had to yeild to me since he had the stop sign.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The cop was probably right. The cab had a stop, you didn't and you had the right of way.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:11 PM

I did have the right of way, that intersection is notorius for close calls on people making lefts, the street I was on consists of 2 lanes and trying to make a left on a stop sign in morning traffic or rush hour traffic is rediculous.

Quick Reply: I need help from the NJ guys, I crashed my S2 today!!