S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I need advice on driving a stick shift!

Old 09-17-2005, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need advice on driving a stick shift!

Sup guys, i've been told many times to never stay in neutral slowing down, never feather the clutch no matter what speed, and never to chirp the tires while shifting.

FEATHERING CLUTCH in First GEAR:
Everytime i start off driving my S2K from at light in first gear, I always have to engage my clutch half way for 2 seconds and then release all the clutch all the way. When i do this i get a smooth take off but people telling me i am burning my clutch. THere is NO WAY i can release the clutch out all the way in first gear going 1 mph up a hill. WHen im trying to park parralell or slowly move my car going 1-2 mph, I relase the clutch half way and i leave it liek that while im going slow. If i rease the clutch out the car goes too fast. for example, i was in an S2000 Parade not too long ago. As we were in a line formation, driving walking speed for nearly 2 hours, there was 2 little girls in front of my car. I was so nervous, going about 1 - 2 mph behind 2 little girls. If was afraid if i let the clutch out the car would go too fast and hit the girls. So most of the time I had to ride the clutch and feather it alot for 2 hours. How the hell do you drive 1-2 mph in a stop and go situation without feathering in first gear???

PUTTING CAR IN NUETRAL:
People always tell me to never put my car in nuetral as i am decelerating coming to a stop at a stopLight. They all tel me to downshift until i make a complete stop and then i put the car in nuetral. WHenever i exit off the free way going about 50mph and there is a stop light in front of me, i always put the car in neutral while breaking. I do this to save Gas by avoiding engine braking. SOmeone explain to me how am i supposed to properly slowdown to a complete stop in my S2K.

CHIRPING TIRES:
FOr some reason i cannot shift my car correctly! this is the part that fruastrates me the most. WHen im Launching my car, everytime i shift at 9K my tire chirps in 2nd. 3rd , 4th and 5th are pefrect and of course it doesnt chirp. People tell me to never chirp my tires when shifting but i cannot help it. when im shifting, i release the clutch really fast (i dont drop thr clutch). PLease teach me how to shift the correct way.

I appreciate anyone who reads my thread. Please teach me how to drive better!THANKS
Old 09-17-2005, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

generally if you want to go real slow you are going to be on and off the clutch, that is to let out on the clutch to get rolling, then push back in to stop accelerating. feathering it as you say, is bad when done repeatedly and for long periods of time. You have to feather it slightly to get rolling, but it doesn't take much. If it does try giving it more gas. It is not at all bad to be in neutral when stopping, you will however go thru your brakes faster. The flip side in downshifting and using engine braking is that you wear the clucth out faster, and use more gas. It is safer to have the car in a gear in case evasive manuvers are needed.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:41 AM

As far as stopping goes...If you're comfortable downshifting, have at it, but what's more expensive, brake pads or clutch?
Personally, I downshift until I hit about 2200rpms in 3rd gear, then it's brakes until a complete stop (in my 97 integra gsr...still doing research before I pull the trigger on an s2k)
Old 09-17-2005, 10:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Feathering the clutch is necessary at slow speeds to maintain a smooth transition to were you can fully get off the clutch and on the gas... At slow speeds you have to able to "balance" the clutch and throttle. The damage is going to be when you have the clutch in and you are giving excessive throttle....you will start to smell your clutch... Practice...

Downshifting to decelerate is recommended because the engine will assist you in slowing the car and saving the wear on your breaks.... additionally it will ensure that if you have to take evasive action immediately......you will already be in the correct gear to do so. You need to learn to "rev-match" the RPM's and then select a lower gear. Do a search for "rev matching"....

Chirping is a combination of dumping the clutch and flooring the throttle....take a little off either one and you'll quit chirping..
Old 09-17-2005, 10:19 AM

Wait a minute, so the way ive been drving all this time is OK? wtf i hate it when people give me bad information. My drving is smooth and never jerky. I know how to perfeclty downshift and rev-match but sometimes i choose not to do the engine brake. Only problem is when i drive the car hard and shift to 2nd my tires chirp. When i downshift to 3rd going 60-70 my tires also chirp.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:35 AM

you seem to be driving fine to me man. some people take what they learn from some random as dude and tells everyone it is method.

the only thing i see wrong is that if you don't want to chirp your tires, just do what they said and be lighter on the clutch or the throttle when shifting to second if you don't want to chirp the tires, throttle is much easier. but chirping your tires isn't going to do massive damage to your drivetrain, maybe a little clutch wear, but that is expected as that is what clutches do.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:45 AM

true that people talk a bunch of crap.

when going at starting off, you have to regulate the clutch. there is no other way or else be in first nad it will constly be on the vege of stalling/putting.

people say that if ur in gear and decelerating, the injection valves shut down and save gas. so that egine breaking saves gas over idle. but i still do not believe that people in short distances and successfully engine break to slow down cuz rev matching in itself takes away much of the engines stopping power. i recently said screw it to engine break when under 20 mph and just use neutral and the brakes.

maybe your tires are bald, but you really shouldn't be chirping. look at the max torque of the car. let off the clutch a tiny bit slower and let off the gas a bit.

that being said, we're not experts, or at least im not.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:53 AM

I only get the chirp when im driving hard and shifting at 9K.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:57 AM

in regards to coming to a stop in neutral - you don't use any gas by leaving it in gear, if your foot is off the throttle. engine braking also assists your brakes by slowing down the car as well
Old 09-17-2005, 11:09 AM

While not necessary, downshifting while decelerating is a good application. It also won't put a lot of wear for the synchros will do its work.

As for "Chirping" between gears, take your foot off the throttle when shifting.

Hope that helped!

Jeff

Quick Reply: I need advice on driving a stick shift!