S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I may be going Vortech.... But I have a few questions

Old 12-04-2002, 07:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I may be going Vortech.... But I have a few questions

I have a great deal I could get on a new Vortech SC kit. It would be the newest revision, apparently with some of the changes/bugs worked out from previous versions. I have done lots of reading the last few hours and have searched what I can. (the s2ki.com search feature doesn't seem to work right now, as everyone knows)

My questions are these:

For those who have the vortech kit.... have you had any problems? if so, what were they? did you install the kit yourself, or was it done by a shop? any upgrades you recommend getting for reliability reasons? (ie, upgrade clutch or differential?)

and most importantly, do you feel it was worth the money? do you regret making the purchase, or do you think it was worth every penny?
Old 12-04-2002, 07:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YIKES! Wisc, w/SC power. Do it!

Z06s, 350Z, Boxster S, everyone and their grandma, watch out.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not trying to hijack your thread but do you supercharged guys feel that upgrading the brakes is not necessary? I see a lot of people with sc's but are still running on stock brakes.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by FormerH22a4
YIKES! Wisc, w/SC power. Do it!

Z06s, 350Z, Boxster S, everyone and their grandma, watch out.
Yup, Wisconsin S2k v2.0

Dont' worry though... I'll still have plenty of stories involving tiburons and probes.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stale_Hotdog
[B]Not trying to hijack your thread but do you supercharged guys feel that upgrading the brakes is not necessary? I see a lot of people with sc's but are still running on
Old 12-04-2002, 09:50 PM

Tell me more!!
Old 12-05-2002, 04:23 AM

I am also in the process of installing a Vortech SC. I ordered my SC and it should be coming this week. I am also going install steel bradded lines, high performance pads and cross drilled rotors for better brake cooling. I'll change the clutch I guess when it is time.
Old 12-05-2002, 04:48 AM

Ah where to start.

I guess at the begining. I was the second person to receive my S/C Damn you Mike. Me and two of my friends installed it over a four day period. I had all the bugs that had ever been reported (bad timing box, bracket for water pump to small, crank pulley not drilled, The sticker on my aftercoller was even on backwards).

Any ways after all that and everything was on the car It ran. The car was incrediabbly fast but I would get periodic CEL so after many ignored calls to Vortech and checking everyting I could think of I installed a VAFC and headed to the Dyno. They had no luck tuning the car at all and the probelm persisted. Turns out I installed the VAFC wrong. After getting it hooked up corectly I took the A/F graph I had and made my own adjustments and I currently have no CEL problems. The car is still fast and dynoed at 292 HP 187 Tq with VTEC moved down to 5300 RPM's

In order to do the install yourself you will need a descent set of tools, floor jack, jack stands someone who know a little about wiring and a lot of courage. This is not an easy or short job allow plenty of time for it. If you have a second car that will help. I did not. You will need a second person for a lot of the install.

Things you will need after the install:

At least a stage 2 clutch. My STAR clutch from Randy at Import Dev is still going strong under a lot of abuse. Plan on eating through tires very quickly. In my opinion you will not need brakes unless you plan on driving that much faster. Brakes arent going to be needed just becasue you can get to your usual spped that much quicker but if you plan on driving 20% faster after the S/C then yes buy some brakes. I have the willwood kit but thats becasue I like going to the track and dont like brake fade.

Feel free to PM me or ask questions. I can even supply my Phone number if you want.

I have a lot of pics of the install at: http://www.thesuperdimension.com/S2000/ scroll down to July and you'll see the install stuff. Also some other cool stuff in there.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:09 AM
S2K

No regrets on purchasing the Vortech SC here. I was one of the first few to get the kit as well...and I had your usual bugs. Got all those worked out and the car is running very solid right now...or should I say a few days ago. Since there is snow on the ground the S won't see the day of light

I love the kit despite the bugs and all. It was well worth the money in my mind. Even my wife notice the increase in how fast you get up to speed and when boost starts to build, it pushes you into your seat!

I did the install myself as well, took almost a week since I only had time to work on the car after work. If you have the right tools and aren't afraid to work on the S then you should be able to do the install, just take your time and get a friend to help you. I think the hardest part of the install was getting the damn crank pulley off!!! After I got that off...everything went pretty fast.

So far, I'm still running almost everything stock. The SC and a VAFC is the only upgrade that I have...although I plan to upgrade the clutch over winter. If you plan to drag alot from a stand still, you will need lots of upgrades to the drivetrain and rear end. I drag from time to time, mostly at the track and my stock clutch was having a hell of a time holding together

I think I'm the only Vortech SC S2K in MN (your next door state), if you ever want to check it out let me know.

Everytime I get in the car and I hear the whine, this is what you see on my face
Old 12-05-2002, 05:43 AM

The feedback has been great. I appreciate it. If anyone else has more to add, feel free. I will be contacting S2k and S2kTroup should I decide I have the funds and plan on going forward with this.

Quick Reply: I may be going Vortech.... But I have a few questions