S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I got a question - Drivablilty

Old 01-08-2001, 02:57 PM

Received 5,786 Likes on 3,407 Posts

Gunner, here's a forum from www.automobile-review.com that we give you your answer.

Honda S2000:
After having read rave reviews at this site and in almost all other publications, I went to purchase an S2000 last month. Since they were rare, I was prepared to order one sight unseen; however, my local dealer had four
slightly used models so I was able to drive several. My impressions were surprising to say the least. My primary reasons for wanting to purchase this car were power and handling. Regarding power, all of the s2000's power is above 6000rpm. During normal driving
3500-4000rpm) a foot to the floor produces -- really nothing. It was necessary to downshift one or even two gears to get any grunt at all. That grew old very quickly. Regarding handling, I had no opportunity to drive it at
track speeds, but at fast street speeds on roads with which I was familier, I found the front and rear ends to be somehow disconnected. The front end turn-in would
be near instantaneous and is truly impressive; however,the rear end would somehow seem to not follow, necessitating a backoff, steering correction, and application of throttle (and downshift -- see above)
in mid-turn. Total times through turns seemed to be slower than in my sedan. Again, very disappointing in a car whose hallmark is supposed to be "race-car-like". I wound up not purchasing the car, and am curious --
was it just me, or has anyone else experienced the same thing?
Dick P.

Here's the answer he got:
It's interesting to read a regular buyer's perspective on our collective editorial staff's favourite car. I didn't experience the front-rear disconnectedness of which
you speak...but that might be part of what we'd like to describe as a pure driving experience.

As you point out, the S2000 is not an easy car to drive fast, and perhaps that is why we like it so much (we get to test-drive a fair amount of fast cars here, so easy speed has maybe left us feeling jaded). Its engine is
peaky, but the perfect shifter encourages you (or at least, me) to keep it on the boil. You need time to learn this car's handling: it's really tail-happy, which takes a lot of getting used to. Get used to it, and it does reward you--but it's not easy, nor is it fast to learn (which is why I drive S2000s as often as I can).

I guess a lot of this has to do with the definition of "race car-like". If you take that to mean easy speed, and a gentle learning curve, then the S2000 fails. But I think race cars are the opposite--they're challenging, you need time and practice to learn them. Peaky power delivery and chassis that demand respect are, for me, part of the experience--and are the reason the S2000
feels like such a pure interpretation of the driving ideal.

So, what did you end up buying?
signed: Laurance

It went on to say he bought a 2001 Miata w/sport suspension. The auto tester responded by saying he just sold his beloved 2000 Miata. And he added, "For most uses, the Miata is an ideal choice, far better than the more compromised and performance-biased S2000. A fellow tester than joined in and said the disjointed feel described is the cars perfectly balanced chassis. Grip or
slip is always a prod or lift of the throttle away. Amazingly fun if you learn how to drive it.

Gunner, hope this helps. Bottom line, to me it's reportedly more race car like (lacking the normal understeer built in for safety) than most cars. On the other hand, many of it's owners will never fully test their or it's limits. I'd highly recommend you attend a race driver's school in you love sports cars, as I'm quessing you do.
Old 01-08-2001, 04:10 PM

Member (Premium)

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

I lost the back end once while leaving a parking lot on a back road.

It had never happened before and it was a very cool morning and the car had been sitting for awhile. I then noticed it more as the weather got cold.

I attribute it to the tires (tread is still there, only 4K miles on them) not holding when cold.
Old 01-08-2001, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's not a civic.
in other words, you have to pay attention. it will reward attention and driving skill. if, on the other hand, you lack skill it can punish you if you don't pay attention.
worst of all, if you overestimate your skill it can really punish you.
in other words, it's a rear wheel drive sports car.
i'm sure we all have stories where we screwed up. in some cases people pushed the car or themselves too hard, in others people were lax, in others bad things happened to good people.
i just suggest you take it for a test drive.

-c
Old 01-08-2001, 06:12 PM

Gunner, if you decide to purchase this car you will not be dissapointed. It is true that the car has a split personality, and is a bit tail happy at the limit, but if you respect it long enough to get to know it you will see that it is a very predictable automobile. Also, the tail happy part can be toned down a lot with the Mugen front sway bar if you're worried, but remember... There is nothing like the controlled power oversteer of a great rear wheel drive sports car, even if it is at slow speeds. This car demands respect and attention, and as said before, if you're not goning to give it what it needs...how can you expect it to give it back? So, in closing I will say that the S2K is a brilliant choice of automobile...just don't buy a used 00'...lol.
Old 01-08-2001, 10:12 PM

You also have to keep in mind that the gearbox requires respect as well. It's very easy to miss-shift with the stook's extremely short throws. When you've mastered it, it's the slickest shifter I've ever had the honor of driving much less owning.