S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I got a question - Drivablilty

Old 01-08-2001, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't own a S2000 but I planned to get one this summer. I read many articles regarding this amazing car. There is one thing that worries me though. Every article I've read - the "expert" always saids "You really have to concentrate to drive this car" - What does that mean? Does it mena I got go to a driving school for this car??? I'm no expert driver and I even bought an old Del Sol to learn how to drive stick. That quote got me a little worry... Can anyone explain? Thanks.

------------------
Old 01-08-2001, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think you need to concentrate to drive this car, but I'd be worried about anyone who doesn't concentrate on driving.

The car is easy as cake to drive. You just need to figure out shift points for economy driving and then shift points for the gas-guzzling (not that much) "drive it like you stole it" mode - because its a vtec, its gotta be driven that way to get the most out of it.

Gunner,
It just means that you have to be a good driver to be able to extract all the goodness out of the S2000 without getting yourself into trouble when pushing it to its limits. I believe most sports car drivers love a car like the S2000 for just that reason. However, if you are only going to be driving the car at say 90% of its capabilities, it is an easy car to drive, and better still than a lot of cars out there, especially for the price, IMO.

Member (Premium)

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

IMO, the car is very tight and responsive.

If for instance you look down to change the cd, in some (most) cars you may get a bit of a drift, the s2k will move more than a little. Also when you push the pedal you will get a rush when the VTEC kicks in.

I don't have a problem with it, but do pay more attention.
Old 01-08-2001, 12:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one other note - pay attention - yes, of course, with all small cars next to Excursions you need to. But you already know this driving a Del Sol. I drove a Miata before (still have it) and I'm used to being cautious in that way.
Old 01-08-2001, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We all know that driving is a serious responsibility and this applies even more so to S2000 or any other comparable sports cars which has capability of going insanely fast.
This car will not let sloppy or bad driver, a good driver despite its merit is in awesome handling.
Anybody can drive this car easily but when the speed comes into a factor it isn't the case. You are not required to 'drive like you stole it' or stay in the vtec power band zone to drive this car. However if you are seriously into performance driving, take it to the track with an instructor who can teach you and let you see how awesome this car can perform.
We all know that most of the time when we are letting the engine rev to 9K, we are somewhat breaking the law in one way or the other and possibly being unsafe to other motorists due to its tremendous capability of going very fast.
I am being too serious when in fact it isn't but on the street I cannot stress enough that we need to tone down our urge to drive like we stole it for our safety sake and other motorists.
Well forgive me for being too serious.
But seriously , take one of the performance driving school. It certainly will be money well spent for your S2000 or any other motorvehicles.

[This message has been edited by 1Randyc (edited January 08, 2001).]

Old 01-08-2001, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually I am going off the topic little bit here, but...
This car is somewhat limited to how courageous and daring you are and I heard the rumor(but probably true)that one individual here by the name of Greg S. who owns daredevil red rocket S2000 who can actually squeeze out more capability then what it can actually do.
On the other hand I am at the opposite extreme, the granny driver of S2000. I barely visit the 9K haven and limit myself to measily 6K rpm usually and take all corners like I do with SUVs. I am at age 30 and I have become coward as the years went by and I just cringe when I read some of the stunt driving you guys been doing.

Old 01-08-2001, 01:38 PM

I'"m driving on 12k+ tires, so you better believe I'm babying the car a bit these days (just received my new S-02's from TireRack today) but it is a really easy car to drive for regualr driving. If you push it, it pushes back a bit, and if you have not driven a RWD vehicle (luckily i learned on one awhile back) or are not careful with the power, you can and will get into trouble much quicker than in a "regular" car. I think I drive more like RandyC.
I've driven manual forever, and I am still looking forward to taking a performance driving class in my S2K. I'd recommend it, especially if you are a newbie to the manual tranny.

[This message has been edited by yu888 (edited January 08, 2001).]
Old 01-08-2001, 01:50 PM

That is what I mean. I've own a Miata like the S2000 it's a rear wheel drive car. When you go around corners too fast the tail will give out. Does the S2000 do that? How controllable is it? And any other driving problems if you push it?
Old 01-08-2001, 02:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been taught a lesson or two by this car, its really easy to driveup yo about 85-90%, which is of course, pretty fast to begine with. Like they say 'at the limit' it does in fact require alot more input/awareness/skill to handle then say, the Integra. You get the feeling of security being in a tight car, its real easy to go into a turn too hot. Learning what the engine sounds like is fun, I had to sort of re-map my instincts on shifting. And its a little tougher to get out of the starting blocks, look at it this way, If you can master this car, you're one hell of a driver, but it takes time to learn its limits.

Well within its limits, its a calm cool car, easy and a pleasure to drive.

Quick Reply: I got a question - Drivablilty