S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I give up.....

Old 08-03-2002, 10:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I give up.....

I'm throwing the Gtech away. It's useless for this car. I've been working on getting the launch down in my S. Man, is it ever difficult. I can't seem to get it to be consistent. I either bog, get too much wheelspin, or end up spinning the clutch on launch resulting in that awful "I hurt my poor baby" stench for a few days.

It's time to grow up and realize you guys are right. This is not a drag car. I feel like I am killing my poor car ever time I try to launch it. So I will just stick to doing what this car does best...which is everything else BUT launching. I will still thoroughly enjoy its acceleration. I will still regularly visit nine grand. It will still make me grin from ear to ear. I just won't attempt to duplicate those high-13/low 14 times some of you brave folks are achieving. I don't know how on earth you guys are pulling that off. After a couple of burning clutch episodes, I worry about breaking something. I feel like my launches are hurting the car...and I'm only averaging 14.4.

So it's official. I no longer care what numbers I can generate. I won't set a goal to get into the 13s. I will just enjoy my car for what it is...the sweetest, most rewarding driver's car I have ever had the pleasure to pilot.
Old 08-03-2002, 11:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep the GTech meter... it's good quality, I'm sure you could find other uses for it...
Old 08-04-2002, 12:28 AM

A small, high-revving 4 cyl not good as a drag racer? . . . Odd.

I imagine Honda engineers occasionally looking in on this website, reading about superchargers and 7000 RPM clutch drops and screaming, "HEY A$$HOLE, WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MY BABY!?!?!?.
Old 08-04-2002, 01:08 AM

if you want to do drag racing, then trade in your S and get an american muscle car
Old 08-04-2002, 02:37 AM

Odd ... I don't see what is so hard about launching the S2000. You just rev it to around 7000rpm and drop the clutch ... the car does the rest. Me and 2kTurkey had a G-tech session once and we were very consistant ... alltogether we must have done good 15 - 20 runs that one evening. It was simple - reved it to 7,000rpm and let go off the clutch ... not much to it. Clutch help up superbly (ie. no smell or slippage) and the times were very consistent and repeatable.

Nothing to it, you just need to drop the cutch from high enough revs.
Old 08-04-2002, 03:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ya the S2000 is not that difficult to launch once u get it down. Rev it to 6500-7000RPM and drop the clutch.
Old 08-04-2002, 06:04 AM

Originally posted by DavidM
Odd ... I don't see what is so hard about launching the S2000. You just rev it to around 7000rpm and drop the clutch ... the car does the rest. Me and 2kTurkey had a G-tech session once and we were very consistant ... alltogether we must have done good 15 - 20 runs that one evening. It was simple - reved it to 7,000rpm and let go off the clutch ... not much to it. Clutch help up superbly (ie. no smell or slippage) and the times were very consistent and repeatable.

Nothing to it, you just need to drop the cutch from high enough revs.
You can do it this way or "feel" out the clutch when letting go. I have successfully learned how to launch the S quickly without dumping it. But I still rely on dumping the clutch at 7000rpm when I need to. It's hard to explain what I mean about feeling out the clutch. Almost like making a perfect shift (perfect combination of gas and clutch and shift).

Anyone else learn how to do what I am explaining?
Old 08-04-2002, 07:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by bayarea408
if you want to do drag racing, then trade in your S and get an american muscle car
I'd rather be dead.

I absolutely love the S2000. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I don't understand...I've tried the 7K clutch drop. I get too much wheelspin...enough to kick the tail out to the side. At 6500, I get some wheelspin and then the revs drop way too low. Interestingly enough, that 14.4 average I mentioned above has no spread. No matter what method I use to launch the car, I get very consistent 14.4s on the G-Tech. How the heck are you guys getting low 14s and high 13s??
Old 08-04-2002, 08:09 AM

Hey
If your just going to throw away that G-tech meter, ill take it.
Heck, ill even pay for shipping.
Let me know!
Xv7vX
Old 08-04-2002, 11:24 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Station
[B]

I'd rather be dead.

I absolutely love the S2000. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Quick Reply: I give up.....