S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I burnt my clutch from launching my S at 7000 RPM.........

Old 03-26-2004, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know your pain buddy i have only 8000 miles on my s and if i ever dump the clutch over 5k i basically go nowhere and my car smells for a week....wtf i never beat on the car the way i did on my ls/vtec integra which never had issues and was launched past 6k all the time. it just seems that i have to baby my s b/c i cant enjoy the fun w/o feeling lke a transmisson rebuild or clutch replacement coming on.
last week i pulled into a local dealership a few mins after a 5k launch and the 2 sales men outside came running up to my window thinking my car was on fire it smelled so bad.... its not like i just learned to drive manual or or even try to treat it like an aftermarket clutch but im begining to think this might become a larger prob in the future. being human though im not ruling out the possibility of me being the cause of the prob ive just never encountered this kind of frustration from a healthy clutch and tranny setup
sorry to vent ---advice welcome
Old 03-26-2004, 09:14 PM

5k launches will kill the clutch in no time flat. You must launch above 6k to get the tires to break loose.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by payneinthe
5k launches will kill the clutch in no time flat. You must launch above 6k to get the tires to break loose.
Or the differential!!

Gerry
Old 03-27-2004, 12:16 AM

damn... My S only has about 3500 miles!!
and my clutch wore out!? sob...
like some of you have mentioned.. I think I'll just wait and see if that vibrating start on the first gear will go away... AND the high pitch whistling sound on the 6th gear on highways....

god I really hope these will go away T..T
if not I'll have to rob a bank lol
Old 03-27-2004, 01:47 AM

Some people are really smart....... Good advice, next time drop the clutch at 7000 when you just turn the car in the morning. Actually at 6000.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:37 AM

Originally posted by s2000
damn... My S only has about 3500 miles!!
and my clutch wore out!? sob...
like some of you have mentioned.. I think I'll just wait and see if that vibrating start on the first gear will go away... AND the high pitch whistling sound on the 6th gear on highways....

god I really hope these will go away T..T
if not I'll have to rob a bank lol
wait!!! dont replace the clutch just now! your car is brand new, wait a few more days and the problem could go away, i have seen my friend with the same problem as yours ,and he is fine now
if the prioblem doesnt go away after a few days, then you have to take it to a local dealer
Old 03-27-2004, 03:59 AM

As has been written on this site many hundreds of times before:

The S2000 is a car designed to handle well, not do dragstrip-style launches. Anyone who can't understand that should be driving a Mustang or 'Vette.
Old 03-27-2004, 11:53 AM

Sorry to hear. I 'glazed' my clutch the first time i tried launching it by 'feathering' it out like I did in my old 99si. But did not take long to realize I was ingear and had the gas pedal heading towards WOT and quickly put in clutch and pulled out of gear. Drove like a granny for the next 90min cruising around town and it was fine after that.

Quick side note, no idea how many 5-7k RPM drops I have done. But at least 3-5 every auto-x over the last 2 seasons. And here and there as I feel the need for a drag launch. All stock, 23k miles now and no probs. My guess is that it is just a matter of time. After watching the Camaro SS on R compound tires rip off the line ..... I hate the idea of playing catchup from the start. (Not that I have lost to him all that much I guess anywho)
Old 03-27-2004, 12:19 PM

So what kind of launches could you expect from a ACT HD clutch? I mean, how long is it gona last with launches at 5K?
Old 03-27-2004, 12:50 PM

Good point.

It may be covered under warranty.

Also, if it wasn't designed for it (I never launched at 7k myself), then what is a "SAFE" launching rpm?

I usually do 5-5.5K rpm every now and then.

Also, can you get an aftermarket clutch kit and then dump it at 6-7k rpm safely? If so, what kind?

Sorry it happened. Good luck.

Quick Reply: I burnt my clutch from launching my S at 7000 RPM.........