S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I burnt my clutch from launching my S at 7000 RPM.........

Old 03-26-2004, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

omfg... that's expensive T_T
Old 03-26-2004, 04:04 PM

mine looked I had blowtorched the flywheel, so everything had to be replaced, need less to say, I no longer do that, I had no idea the clutch would be that weak stock...
Old 03-26-2004, 04:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, this is the downside of sissy slick cars like ours. My Corvettes and Cobra can take clutch dumps all day. They are made for it. S2000's are not.

I always laugh at the accel times you see for Porsches in the mags. I have actually been to one when I worked for a major mag - the cars come from Porsche NA in trailers - we do clutch dumps and Porsche clutches are capable of only a few - we get these great times - and the engineers roll the cars back onto the trailers. It really is deceptive, because of owners drove their cars like that, they would be in for a $5k clutch job every month. Yet, the mags print these great times, and the biy racers think they can smoke a Cobra or a Vette. Maybe with $20K of buildup.

Truth is, if you want to do clutch dumps at high RPM, get a 4.6L DOHC Supercharged Cobra, pull the IRS and put in a live Ford 8.8 or a 9" axle. Get a Get a Centerforce and have at it. Spank those Sti's.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:13 PM

Shouldn't operate equipment you are not familiar with.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Blair Morrow
can't EVER handle a 7000 rpm launch...
I've done close to 100 and other autocrossers are well into the 4 digits. It just requires proper technique. And I've screwed a couple up and the clutch is still fine. Depending on how many miles you've got on the clutch, you might be able to just wait a while until the glaze goes away and have a normal clutch again.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:08 PM

i would not rush to have the clutch replaced. three years ago, when i first got my S, i dumped the clutch at 5-6k rpm numerous times. one time i did four dumps in a row and my clutch failed liked yours. i let my car rested for about 5 minutes and then drove home without any mechanical problems. for the following week, my garage smelt like burned clutch and i could smell my clutch even driving at low speed. my S is at 27k miles now and is still running strong. never had transmission or clutch failure since then. i still dump my clutch occasionally at 5k rpm. just because you smell something or it's discolored doesnt necessarily mean it's dead. as someone suggested, you could have glazed the top layer and the rest of the clutch could still be perfectly functional. i had done similar things to my 89 accord years ago and never had a clutch failure for the duration of 60k miles/ three years. similar situation with my 87 RX7. i agree dumping clutch is bad for your car and can be very costly, if you are not ready to accept the consequence, think twice before you try.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by s2000
I tried to race my friends V8 Jeep, and I got smoked by it on the first gear
so on the next signal stop... I rev'd the damn car to 7k rpm and as soon as I let go my clutch... car wasn't moving... I was like wtf?
I thought I wasn't on the first gear.. but I looked at the shift knob and it was on first gear!!!
I was like... holy shit
I smelt bad bad burning crap and now my car makes a wierd high pitch airplane sound when I'm on the highway... like whistling sound as the speed increases
AND
when I take off from 1st gear, the car feels hesitating and kind of stumbles as if it was jerking

I need HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

what kind of damage could my S have taken?
some expert at honda service said the car's transmission or the diffrential might have gone bad...

I'm depressed... didn't know launching at high RPM was a harmful thing to the car

any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated

thanks!

Go to Honda, pay them $1500 and your car will be fine....
Old 03-26-2004, 07:49 PM

Wait a sec, you actually thought that when something (your clutch) goes from 0 rpm to 7,000 rpm in about .1 seconds it doesn't do it harm? Interesting.

You know, I used to do a lot of clutch drops with my first car when I was a teenager ('90 Nissan 240SX) and I wound up having to put $1200 into a tranny rebuild and clutch after 2 years or so. Boy that hurt. I don't do that much anymore.

Kris
Old 03-26-2004, 09:03 PM

Note: If I was going to all the trouble of replacing the clutch, I'd put in a lightened flywheel and an aftermarket heavy duty clutch.

It's not like you can go in there in ten minutes any time you want.

Worth the extra bux!

Gerry
Old 03-26-2004, 09:07 PM

aftermarket clutch and flywheel is a must!

Quick Reply: I burnt my clutch from launching my S at 7000 RPM.........