S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I bought a Heavily Modified AP1 Thinking it was Mostly Stock

Old 02-12-2019, 11:08 AM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Luckily this engine is pretty robust so even if it was previously boosted, unless the previous owner didnt do anything properly, you should be ok. As others said, valve adjustment and compression test. Maybe have a reputable shop replace the gaskets? Other than that you should be good. These are strong engines, not like the new FA20 which can throw a rod in stock form.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:22 AM

Received 1,177 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Did the car pass NY smog? Many times an aftermarket ECU will not and the car won't be legal to drive on the road (aftermarket stuff is normally marked "off road only"). Smog failure in itself would be a reason to force a reversal of the sale if you don't want the car. There gotta be smog test locations in every hamlet in NY. I'd test it now.

Two red flags if you'd been checking here before buying the car: (1) $13K for any under 60K mile, unaltered S2000 in excellent condition is "too good to be true" in 2019, and (2) a Hondata Kpro ECU or any other aftermarket ECU practically guarantees the car had forced induction (rare exceptions, of course) .

That said, though, the car is probably fine. if it can pass smog, and would probably have sold to someone else at this price if advertised as "formerly turbocharged." Follow the advice given above.

The Hondata Kpro will enable you to get the car tuned for more mid-range power with a VTEC engagement in the 3600 rpm range. It may be already.

-- Chuck
Old 02-12-2019, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the advice. Once spring comes, I'll pursue valve adjustment, compression test, oil test, etc. The car drives good as far as I can tell, but I've only driven it about an hour (because of winter). I am concerned about long term reliability.

How I know it is my car in the turbo build post? Here are a few dead giveaways:

1. The seller's s2ki username is the same as the e-mail we were using to communicate during the transaction.

2. The pictures in the turbo build thread show his garage. That is where I went to pickup the car, and it is exactly the same.

3. The seller is currently selling some Enkei RPF1 wheels here at s2ki. I saw those same wheels when I went to pickup the car. He offered to sell them with the car, for extra money, of course.

4. The seller's post says he is from the Lake George area in NY, and that is exactly where I picked up the car.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:30 AM

Received 328 Likes on 277 Posts

Where abouts in NY are you?
Levi
Old 02-12-2019, 11:30 AM
Site Moderator

Received 353 Likes on 307 Posts

Like everyone said the price of the car should have been a red flag. Way to cheap for a clean title low mile S2000. I would do like others said and get a compression and leak down test done (probably should have done this before hand as part of a PPI but to late for that now). What does the engine bay look like? Anything missing or in odd places? The outside at least looks good. Have the car gone through and go from there. If you are really upset and you have written proof that the seller misrepresented the car you could probably pursue returning it but it more than likely involves a lawyer and more trouble than it is worth. Good reminder to always do your due diligence prior to buying a car.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:47 AM

Received 170 Likes on 129 Posts

You can't realistically expect a 20 year old car, an s2000 at that, to be 100% stock throughout its history. You should have done a better research on the car and on the seller, a simple search of his email/phone/location would have shown pictures of the items he's selling and the car's modified condition.

With that said just because it was turbocharged doesn't mean its a ticking time bomb. There are plenty of NA cars blowing engines. You got a good deal, it looks clean and assuming the previous owner(s) maintained it well you don't have to worry. Just enjoy the car.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:50 AM

Received 431 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Two red flags if you'd been checking here before buying the car: (1) $13K for any under 60K mile, unaltered S2000 in excellent condition is "too good to be true" in 2019, and (2) a Hondata Kpro ECU or any other aftermarket ECU practically guarantees the car had forced induction (rare exceptions, of course) .
To get the most of the engine NA you still need an aftermarket ECU.

Originally Posted by Orjinal
You can't realistically expect a 20 year old car, an s2000 at that, to be 100% stock throughout its history. You should have done a better research on the car and on the seller, a simple search of his email/phone/location would have shown pictures of the items he's selling and the car's modified condition.

With that said just because it was turbocharged doesn't mean its a ticking time bomb. There are plenty of NA cars blowing engines. You got a good deal, it looks clean and assuming the previous owner(s) maintained it well you don't have to worry. Just enjoy the car.
Exactly.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:06 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Orjinal
You can't realistically expect a 20 year old car, an s2000 at that, to be 100% stock throughout its history.
I don't think that such expectations are totally unrealistic. There are still cars out there to be found in stock condition for decent prices. In this particular case it was obvious that the car had been previously modded. It's unfortunate that the seller might have misrepresented what all had been done to the car in the past but there were more than enough clues that the buyer could have easily walked away from this car. At this point it's probably best just to test it as suggested and if all checks out then hope for the best while enjoying what appears to be a nice clean S2000 that was seemingly priced appropriately all things considered.

Last edited by GuthNW; 02-12-2019 at 12:07 PM. Reason: shortened quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:06 PM
Community Organizer

Received 553 Likes on 505 Posts

On a positive note, you got a $3000 ems included. K pro is one of the most expensive options and also one of the only that is a full stand alone that will use the obd2 and pass emissions. If the engine numbers check out, looks like you got yourself a hell of a good deal for a clean looking low mileage early s2k.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:57 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 985 Posts

Did the previous owner tell you it was NEVER modified?

Or did he say it was mostly stock at the time of sale?

Did you ask him about the turbo kit after you found the thread and photos? How did you happen upon them?

Make sure its in good condition now and just drive it. Move on with your life.

Quick Reply: I bought a Heavily Modified AP1 Thinking it was Mostly Stock