S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Hurt my clutch

Old 04-12-2006, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurt my clutch

I was in a hurry. I had already been driving for about 2 or 3 hours up until my incident, so I know the engine was well warm, as well as my transmission and (I'm guessing) my clutch.

So, I'm at a roundabout. The traffic is a little heavy and I see a gap open up. I want to gun it to get into this gap. I over-rev it a bit a drop the clutch. Instead of a small wheelspin, which I was expecting, I find I'm not moving and the revs just keep going (up to around 6-7k). I back off and re-engage the clutch (needless to say, I missed the gap I was trying to make it into).

I feel like a tool, and my clutch is stinking like nothing else. I'm able to drive off sedately when the traffic eases up a little, and I didn't have any more problems (apart from the smell for the next half hour). That was a few days ago, and I've since babied my car.

I'm guess the clutch was quite warm prior to my incident, and I just had some major slippage. How much do you guys think I've hurt it.

I bought my car about 6 months ago, and had the clutch and 1st and 2nd syncros replaced when I bought it, so it's not like it should be on it's last legs. I'm thinking I should refrain from dropping the clutch in the near future and get it checked out at my next service (I get it serviced every 6 months).

What's your thoughts?
Old 04-12-2006, 05:55 PM

Better to overheat and slip out the clutch than to taco the differential. Our engines aren't really strong enough to overpower the tires on moving clutch drops so you know what takes the majority of the abuse...

Ah yes...the clutch smell. My car went through 8 launches a few weeks ago at an autocross. My clutch stunk up the entire staging area. I had it slip once on the launch, but i was sure to nail shifts and future launches and it held up just fine. I've done a bit of spirited driving lately and its normal. The stock pressure plate is so weak though. If I power on too soon during a high speed shift, there is a very good chance it will slip temporarily.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:56 PM

when i was dragging a gutted fully built integra a few months back, i had to slip the clutch instead of just dropping it because i was on shitty tires and i didnt wanna spin. i stunk up the strip that we drag on with my clutch. honestly people say the clutches and diffs are the weakest points on our cars. my diff has been fine, but my clutch seems to be getting to the end (engages VERY late/high). one clutch glaze shouldnt do too much, but it did put some wear and tear on it. if this is the first occurrence, dont worry about it. how many miles are on the car?

edit: just read that you had the clutch replaced 6 months ago - you should def be fine; if u wanna check it out, you can but i have 50k miles on my clutch with several clutch drops and LOTS of fast/aggressive shifting, so i wouldnt worry about it.
-Chris
Old 04-12-2006, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I've got nearly 97,000 km on it (around 60k miles)

I figured it wouldn't be too bad.