S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How are you purchasing your used Honda S2000?

Old 07-07-2018, 03:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Planning on keeping my S for a year or two and didn’t want to drain half of our savings. I figured if I take care of it, I can get close to what I paid for it since mine has already depreciated close to the max, so I financed it. Just wanted to say that there are still credit unions that will finance an ‘02 S2000 no problem, I found one lol. Also, they were even willing to go up to 72 months on it!? I did not finance for that long but options are definitely out there that could suit your financial situation
Old 07-07-2018, 10:24 AM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

It does makes sense to borrow if the numbers make sense, it’s like buying a collector car, with good credit you can get a 10 year note at 4.25%. Unfortunately the S2000 is still in the depreciating category so wouldn’t qualify. I bought mine cash.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:58 AM

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Cash. It is just as good as money.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought mine from a private seller with a loan from Lightstream. 1.9% and no collateral, hard to beat that.

I could have paid cash but I'd rather have cash on hand for emergencies. One of my checking accounts has a higher return rate anyway.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:24 PM

Received 102 Likes on 54 Posts

cash, I don't finance toys
Old 07-07-2018, 04:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Found it on Bring A Trailer. Wired money full cash payment) sight unseen (apart from the auction photos) after a few conversations with the seller. Shipped it cross country. Love it.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:44 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,256 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Shop around for financing. Dealers seldom seem to have the lowest rates. Paying off the loan quickly will save you a lot of money. My wife was rear ended by a large truck one morning on her way to work. She bought a new car off the showroom floor that afternoon. No time to manipulate money out of her various investment accounts so she "financed" the car via her bank who sent an electronic check to the dealer while the car was being "prepped." From wreck to new car was eight hours. She paid it off the next week. Now quite a "cash" deal, but darned near one.

I'm sure one of our finance guys can tell us what a $20K purchase costs if financed several years. Current values of the S2000 seem to be remaining consistently high unless they're buggered customized so our cars are quasi investments, not expenses. I fully expect my widow will get darn near what I paid for my car when she sells it -- although she looks good driving it!

I don't like financing toys but there's a very nice Ranger R-23 Tug I'd like to get ... (These seem to keep much of their value too!)

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 07-08-2018 at 03:56 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:32 PM

Received 648 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonMG
Found it on Bring A Trailer. Wired money full cash payment) sight unseen (apart from the auction photos) after a few conversations with the seller. Shipped it cross country. Love it.

I basically did the same thing, though not from BaT. Luckily the guy was a really nice guy and an older gentlemen who had cars in a much higher tier than the S2k, so it was well cared for and really reflected everything he said about it. Wired him the money, arranged shipping, and got the car without fuss. Guy communicated the whole way.

Personally I think buying private is the best way to find an S. You can find exactly what you're looking for much easier than waiting for a dealer to have one locally, and honest people willing to make an honest sale will get you pics. Mine had all 10 vins intact and all original keys etc. Plus they tend to be priced much lower than vs at a dealer lot and usually in better condition if you find the right owner.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:01 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kys
I basically did the same thing, though not from BaT. Luckily the guy was a really nice guy and an older gentlemen who had cars in a much higher tier than the S2k, so it was well cared for and really reflected everything he said about it. Wired him the money, arranged shipping, and got the car without fuss. Guy communicated the whole way.

Personally I think buying private is the best way to find an S. You can find exactly what you're looking for much easier than waiting for a dealer to have one locally, and honest people willing to make an honest sale will get you pics. Mine had all 10 vins intact and all original keys etc. Plus they tend to be priced much lower than vs at a dealer lot and usually in better condition if you find the right owner.
Wow, that sounds amazing man. It's great that ex-owners of these cars are willing to provide a smooth transaction!

I too am looking into private seller, and particularly here on these forums. I have a feeling that cars on these forums are well taken cared of.

People here bought the car for what it is, a Honda S2000
I see a lot beaten up Honda S2000 on used dealership lot. To me, the previous owner simply treated it as "a convertible".
Old 07-09-2018, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out Lightstream (owned by Suntrust bank), they have an incredible program. You can finance and purchase as cash. You do the application and they wire the money. You can do 100% plus taxes and fees if you choose. You name the amount. Its essentially an unsecured personal loan at a great rate. You get the title, they are not listed as a lien holder, in fact they specifically say to not list them as a lien holder on title or insurance. No restrictions on age of car. You will need to have a fairly stout credit score and I believe lengthy credit history. I did not have to provide any documentation but they do ask about assets. I used them and could not be happier. With rates as low as they are I have no issue financing a toy. I can make more money investing.

Quick Reply: How are you purchasing your used Honda S2000?