S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How To SideStep the S2000 Clutch

Old 10-14-2006, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To SideStep the S2000 Clutch

I've read a lot on the site about sidestepping the clutch on an S2000. However, my size 11s are just not able to move left of the clutch pedal - they hit into the footrest. I can easily drop the clutch at +6K RPM without much if any clutch slippage, but a sidestep is always better for reducing slippage.

Would someone mind explaining to a newbie S2000 owner with big feet how to do this? Thanks.

MAS
Old 10-14-2006, 05:17 PM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

I wear size #10,and have plenty of space.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:32 PM

Glad to hear it, but I didn't ask what size shoe you wear and if you have enough space. I asked HOW you do it...s'il vous plait.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:37 PM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Get off your cowboy boots,and don driver's shoes.!!!
Old 10-14-2006, 05:50 PM

You can pull your foot up off the clutch faster than it can return to home, but if you try it that way and break your clutch, don't blame me. I do it that way (my reason for this is beyond the scope of this discussion), but it *IS* safer to sidestep if you aren't use to doing clutch drops. Try this ...

... Let the clutch up a quarter inch - it will not be anywhere near the engagement point - and then slip your foot off it to the left and let it slam home. OR ... you might try angling your foot a little so that it slides off the clutch pedal and on to the dead pedal.

Push the clutch down with the right edge of your left shoe, so that you're only touching the very edge of the pedal - just enough to push it down without your foot sliding off - then you only have to move your foot a fraction of an inch to "pop the clutch."

Better yet, don't do it at all. People have broken their cars trying to do this and getting it wrong.

I don't think your problem has anything to do with your shoe size (same as mine), and I have enough room to pull it off (I just prefer to avoid the impact at the end of the stroke, as it buys me nothing and beats the crap out of the hardware).
Old 10-14-2006, 05:52 PM

Emil: Your rapier wit is entertaining, but nonetheless useless for my needs (although the extra exclamation points REALLY got my attention).

Is anyone else willing to offer some sound advice on this topic to a non-cowboy-boot- wearing S2000 driver?
Old 10-14-2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire,Oct 14 2006, 08:37 PM
Get off your cowboy boots,and don driver's shoes.!!!
Emil, are you saying you can't side step the clutch when you're wearing your cowboy boots? I can (not when I'm wearing your boots, but when I'm wearing mine). Now clodhoppers and brogans are another matter. Combat boots are OK though.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by zzyzxroad,Oct 14 2006, 08:52 PM
Emil: Your rapier wit is entertaining, but nonetheless useless for my needs (although the extra exclamation points REALLY got my attention).

Is anyone else willing to offer some sound advice on this topic to a non-cowboy-boot- wearing S2000 driver?
I though I had.

Leave Emil alone. I like his humor.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:57 PM

Thanks, Red, for bringing it back down to topic. If I understand you correctly, your recommendation is to NOT sidestep IF I have experience doing clutch dumps by pulling my foot straight up the clutch travel? This is the way I have always done it in the past (280Z, SE-R).

I have yet to feel the clutch slip in my Spa, or smell the clutch at all, so maybe I'm concerned about something that isn't necessarily a problem.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Oct 14 2006, 07:54 PM
I though I had.

Leave Emil alone. I like his humor.
I noticed your post right after I replied...must have been typing at the same time.

And, if Emil is going to be humorous, he'd better be prepared to take it in return.

Quick Reply: How To SideStep the S2000 Clutch