S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How to remedy the back end kicking out

Old 12-28-2004, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remedy the back end kicking out

I am a fairly new owner, my last car was a superchargered Maxima and I had issues with traction under boost. I am running into this same issues with my '04 S2000, although I read that this was a milder suspension that the previous model years. Basically I'd like to cure the rear end kicking out like what happened today when I shifted into 2nd near redline and the car started going sideways. Pretty scary yet fun. I could only imagine what an extra 100 whp would do. Thanks guys.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:10 PM

How did this happen?(i.e. temps, road conditions and how you were driving) Honestly the s2000 is the most difficult car I've ever owned to break the rear end lose. Really you have to do something foolish for it to happen(trust me I've tried). The only thing car related that could impact this is tire pressure, alignment, or tire wear.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:27 PM

The car has 6k worth of street driven miles. I was going straight and let first wind out to 7.5k then floored it in 2nd to get to speed, considering the traffic was catching up fast. Then next thing I know I'm about to swerve into the next lane. I was turning off a back road so maybe more than normal debri was on my tires.

Then I make a right turn, I am in 2nd going at the most 20 mph (fairly slow IMHO) and the rear end kicked out again as I was giving about 1/2 throttle towards the end of the turn.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:28 PM

Oh yeah, it was about 70 degrees. Nice top-down, Texas weather.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn homie
Old 12-28-2004, 06:34 PM

How about adding some negative camber and/or coilovers? I'm on the stock alignment settings and suspension right now.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:43 PM

No you're missing the point the car is fine from the factory....Coilovers and all the negative camber won't really help. Honestly my 04 understeered when I got it, it didn't oversteer.

Really I would check tire pressure/tire wear(yes even at 6K it could be an issue) It depends upon how you drive. Also have you had an alignment done? THe alignment from the factory is often terrible.

Also is this your first rwd car? Sorry but I have to ask, there are mistakes that you can make which will cause the back end to break loose when it shouldn't. One is lifting the throttle during a turn. WHen you do that, the weight of the car is shifted forward and the rear traction is decreased, this can cause the rear to come out some.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:48 PM

Driving school and seat time in an empty parking lot may help to get a better feel of the car's limits and your own.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:53 PM

This isn't my first RWD car, but it is my first RWD manual shift car and I shifted once in mid-turn and that was ugly. But I don't lift in turns, I learned how that upsets balance in a road racing class with my previous car.

I haven't checked the alignment. I thought it would be fine from the factory (unlike the 350z ) but I will get that checked, along with the tires, etc and try again on a empty road.

Basically I am getting that it seems this occurances were normal, which is good in a way because I rather not catch the "mod bug". At the same time I would like to wonder if there's other actions to reduce this oversteer, as it was pretty violent on the 1-2nd shift.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:00 PM

Your rear end shouldn't kick out going in a straight line. Something's wrong here and I'm not sure what. Maybe someone else has a better idea.

Quick Reply: How to remedy the back end kicking out