S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How reliable is an stock S2k?

Old 08-12-2003, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't listen to any of us. Get a test drive and decide for yourself. But personally, I have driven a VR6 and the F20C's engine is completely different. Your car has punch at 2000 RPMS and ours has none. If you aren't ready for a screaming engine all day every day then the S2000 is not for you.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by agisd
I am thinking of getting one but I am not sure if I'll get the reliability I am looking from a Honda...

What do you think? The car will stay stock. First I was expecting to be very reliable but after reading some of the postings here I dunno...

The S2k's engine gives something like 150 HP for normal driving (no VTec). Does it give 150HP fuel economy as well?

How does compare to a MR2 or a Celica (performane at low-med RPM)?

I currently drive a Jetta VR6 (174 HP lots of low rpm torque/power). Given that the S2k is a lighter car should I expect to see a big difference in low rpm performance?

I actually drove the TSX and it was dead slow at low rpm. Though it's a heavy sedan but my Jetta seems to have twice the power at low rpm (daily driving).

People, help because in Canada it's difficult to get a test drive on this car...
READ THIS THREAD --- LINK

OR

Listen to my opinion....

Mine starts everytime, has not had any problems with #4/diff/clutch/holes in top/spark plug/????, and does every thing that it was sold to me as doing. It's fast enough (stock) and handles better that 96.7% of the cars on the road, including your JETTA on both accounts.

Your Jetta will compare more to the Celica, as far as performance go. Neither one (MR2 or Celica) is compariable to the S2000 in performance. The MR2 is a convertible though.

Since you asked, I suggest you keep your 174hp "extra torquie" JETTA and put a chip in it. Or buy a Mustang GT or some other V8 , with even more "torquieness".

Don't get one. JM2C
Old 08-12-2003, 03:09 PM

With all of the talk on this forum you might get the idea there are a lot of problems with this car. There aren't. Search for a thread Xviper started about "my car started this morning". Better yet I would like to see a thread about just how many of us on this forum have never had their car in the shop for anything but routine maintenance or mods.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by agisd
Not all the cars are the same. ...
Exactly. You have answered your own question about reliability. Just because my Honda S2000 has no problems does not mean your Honda S2000 will also be problem free. It all depends on what you were expecting (what you were "looking for from a Honda"). All we can go by is the reputation of the manufacturer, and we try to predict the reliability of a product based on the past performance -- but there is no guarantee. Your mileage may vary, as they say. Go take a look at Consumers Reports, they run an independent survey on model reliability that most consumers respect.

Based on your questions, I will predict that you will not be happy with the S2000 at low RPM. The S2000 is not for everyone. If you want low RPM performance, you should be looking at a different car (I have not driven the MR2 or Celica, but have you tried the 350Z or the Z4?). Good luck with your decisions.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:18 PM

Is a Honda reliable? Do yourself a favor...don't get it. What the hell, it only has the best engine in the world.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:23 PM
Former Sponsor

My house is full of VW/Audi products..
S2000 is our family's FIRST japanese car.
s2k is totally different car, different motor..
but I am VERY SATISFIED owner.
I wont even compare F20C and VR6 because they are apples and oranges.
S2000 has so much character itself..
The S2000 is not for everyone..you might want to test drive first.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:32 PM
Former Sponsor

btw...
My 1995 euro-spec Golf 3 with 110k miles has been VERY relible last nine years...
Also my car can hit top speed of 110mph(factory spec) any day..
Old 08-12-2003, 06:49 PM

People, I know they are different cars. I don't want to compare the S2k to the Jetta. I bought the Jetta because I needed a car for general use (groceries, going out with friends etc.) I like it but I've put 74k km on it and my needs have changed...

I am looking now to get a track car (for those that they have expressed concerns about the "correct" use of the car). Mind you, in my hands it will see a lot of action...unlike the garage queens of some people here...

The truth is though that I cannot afford to keep the Jetta and I will need to use the S2k to cover some basic needs. For every day use I won't Vtec it much and maybe add some miles on it. That's why I am asking for reliability and fuel economy in a no-Vtec word.

I just took track school with my Jetta and I am looking forward to go back to the track with a real sports car (S2k, STi, 350Z or RX-8 )...

I am going to test drive a used S2k tomorrow.

Fyi, I was driving 4-cyl cars for most of my life and I definitely know how to launch a car with no torque at low rpm...

If you think that your S2k has no torque go drive a Alfa 147 1.6 or a Golf 1.6...or better a Toyota Starlet 1.0 (the car I first drove)...
Old 08-12-2003, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by jwkim
btw...
My 1995 euro-spec Golf 3 with 110k miles has been VERY relible last nine years...
Also my car can hit top speed of 110mph(factory spec) any day..
It seems that the IV cars are not reliable (the problem is with suppliers and lack of quality control from VW for those items). I have heard horrible stories for Golfs and Boras from VW owners in Europe...
Old 08-12-2003, 11:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by winocowboy
Search for a thread Xviper started about "my car started this morning".
I just happen to have it bookmarked!
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=19490

(I'm such a shit disturber!)

Quick Reply: How reliable is an stock S2k?