S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How reliable is an stock S2k?

Old 08-12-2003, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How reliable is an stock S2k?

I am thinking of getting one but I am not sure if I'll get the reliability I am looking from a Honda...

What do you think? The car will stay stock. First I was expecting to be very reliable but after reading some of the postings here I dunno...

The S2k's engine gives something like 150 HP for normal driving (no VTec). Does it give 150HP fuel economy as well?

How does compare to a MR2 or a Celica (performane at low-med RPM)?

I currently drive a Jetta VR6 (174 HP lots of low rpm torque/power). Given that the S2k is a lighter car should I expect to see a big difference in low rpm performance?

I actually drove the TSX and it was dead slow at low rpm. Though it's a heavy sedan but my Jetta seems to have twice the power at low rpm (daily driving).

People, help because in Canada it's difficult to get a test drive on this car...
Old 08-12-2003, 09:56 AM

The car has plenty of low end torque for me but I came from a Civic Ex, so I guess that's not saying much.

People have complained about the low torque however so there are mixed reactions dealing with the torque issue. If you're coming from a VR6, you will definitely notice the change in torque attributes but in the end, the engines are completely different serving different purposes.

The car is still fun to drive pre-VTEC and all the fun kicks in at VTEC engagement. Coupled with a highly researched suspension/chassis, this car will probably be one of the most exhilarating experiences you will have in a car compared to other cars double it's price.

And in the end, no one can make this decision for you so the best advice I can give you is go test drive it. Word of mouth can only go so far.

Good luck,

Bryan

Also, you might want to go check out the Canada section of this forum. There are many friendly S2K'ers from Canada so I suggest you give them a ring.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:56 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Don't,it's not the right car for you !
Old 08-12-2003, 12:03 PM

Like any Honda, you have to get the motor reving to get serious performance out of it.

As for reliability.... its a Honda!!! Regardless of the number of posts about issues here, i still think the quality is excellent. Remember, no one posts threads saying "all is fine" (we'll maybe some of the guys with 20ppd+)

Lastly, if you want to testdrive one in Toronto, check out www.trader.ca There are usually a good 10 or more available in Toronto at any time. With fall approaching (bite my tounge) that number should only increase.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:08 PM

Pretty funny - you're driving a VW and you're worried about the reliability of Honda?

the S2K is not for you.

Joser
Silver/Red
Old 08-12-2003, 12:22 PM

If this car is really meant for you, you won't be able to keep yourself from giving it an occasional Vtec highway merge!
As far as daily driving it's as reliable as any car can be. It's all up to how you take care of it.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:38 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by joser
[B]Pretty funny - you're driving a VW and you're worried about the reliability of Honda?
Old 08-12-2003, 12:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jehman
[B]
As far as daily driving it's as reliable as any car can be.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This car is best driven like a Japanese motorcycle. You can motor around below 5k rpm all day. Over 5k it comes alive. Try renting one before you step up to buying. $53k is one BIG mistake if you don't like the car.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:49 PM

Get a Prius or Civic Hybrid if you want to save gas money, get the S2000 if you want to own one of the most fun cars to drive on the road.

The car has plenty of power, thats not an issue, but if you are going to drive under 5k all day to save a measly 200 bucks a year...if that, then I would have to agree the car isn't for you.

If you are willing to pay the extra, welcome to our world, where the sun always shines and the turns just get more and more fun every day. (That is unless you live on the east coast where the sun is hibernating til next summer).

Best of Luck in your decision...

Oh yeah...very reliable, we have 2 and no issues at all...

Quick Reply: How reliable is an stock S2k?