S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

how reliable are S2000's?

Old 06-24-2004, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how reliable are S2000's?

i've been looking for a new car lately and i stumbled upon a 2000 S2000 for $16,500 (price negotiable) with 53k miles and a veilside kit. i showed my father and he's like.. that's too many miles.. you need to start college with a low mileage car or else you're gonna run into too many problems. the engine might be fine but it's gonna need maintenance work such as timing belt, clutch, brakes, etc.. and all that is gonna add up. he also said that convertible cars with softtops usually leak.. but then again.. can't you just replace that with a hard top, and how much does it cost?

i'm asking this because over the past few months, i've gone through 7 cars and they all end up having something wrong.. infact.. here's a list

1st is the 2nd gen mr2, perfect.. kit, rims, system, new paint.. etc, but parents didn't like it

2nd is another 240, turned out the owner raced it a lot and it had high mileage anyways

3rd was an rsx type-s, perfect condition, average mileage, decent price, got to drive it and everything, but it was maroon, and that's a hideous color imo.

4th was a black rsx type-s. i went to go check it out with my bro and my dad but it turned out it had been in an accident and had noticeable frame damage

5th was another blue rsx type-s, i saw it and was going to buy it a week later, but that same day it was totalled right infront of my eyes

6th was a blue wrx, perfect condition, low miles, nice and stock, but i called a little too late and then it wasn't for sale anymore

7th was the 240sx.. i ran a carfax on it, clear record, went to go check it out, and it was all perfect, color, the condition of the body, etc, but then it was automatic, even though it said manual on the site.

i'm guessing number 8 will be this s2000

it's just that i was really hoping to get one because i've heard of how fun these cars are to drive, and i don't want my next car to be another FF car...
Old 06-24-2004, 03:35 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The silverstones are great! I heard there may be some problems with the other colours though...
Old 06-24-2004, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my car used with 57k miles...So far everything is fine but it did have a new top and i changed all fluids. Timing belt isnt due to 75k miles or so rite ...i drive only locally to skool so i dont put that many miles on it to worry that far ahead.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:09 PM

stop lying...reliability? its honda, need i say more. as long as you keep up with maintenance, it'll last a long time.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:45 PM

If your parents did not like the MR2, what makes you think they will like the S2000 once they see it and hear it?
Old 06-24-2004, 05:00 PM
Banned

Tell your dad that the timing belt issue with s2ks is no issue, as there is a timing chain. The timing chain does not need to be replaced for a loooooong time, if ever. It is also true of the rsx motors that they have a timing chain. The majority of s2k owners have not had any problems, some have had problems due to either freak incidents or over-revving. If you are just going to rack up a bunch of miles or pointless miles, you may be better off with the rsx-s, as it is a bigger car, rides softer, still has decent power, and the motor will be a tad more reliable as the compression ratio is lower. However, the s2k will most likely be one of if not the funnest car to drive on your list.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:33 PM

And keep in mind that looking a 7 cars is not alot of shopping. I'd look at way more than that before i bought anything.

If you decide on an S2000, make sure you look at a bunch of them also, so that you can get a feel for which ones are clean & well kept, and which ones are ratty junk.

--Mike
Old 06-24-2004, 06:47 PM

Heres the deal.

The best and the brightest engineers and drivers put together a car that acheives everything that Honda Corporate ordered. It is a near perfect sports car that goes like hell, handles superbly and has system dependebilty that is true Honda. Dont let anyone disuade you from owning it. This is a great car.

Everytime I drive my 2002, whether to work or on "runs with my 17 year old son, I get a rush. It truly speaks to me.

I have NEVER driven it when I did not feel terrific when I shut the door and walked away.

I am the Director of Flight Operations for a major Aircaraft OEM and I get to fly everything from Jets to prop powered airplanes and I can assure youit is the best blend of a propulsion value while still attached to the ground.

BUY it .. just make sure you have a trusted tech who can give you reasonable assurance that the car has not been damaged or a major system is about to shoot craps.

You will love it.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:50 PM

hmm some good points made. i'll try to answer most

Originally posted by SBS2000R
stop lying...reliability? its honda, need i say more. as long as you keep up with maintenance, it'll last a long time.
yeah that's what i tried to tell them.. but you know how some parents are.. HARD HEADED!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WhiteS2k
If your parents did not like the MR2, what makes you think they will like the S2000 once they see it and hear it?
Old 06-24-2004, 08:00 PM

They self destruct at 66,666 miles.

Just kidding.

They're more reliable than every car you listed, with the possible exception of the RSX Type S.

Quick Reply: how reliable are S2000's?