S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How quiet is the S2000?

Old 03-06-2008, 05:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alin10123,Mar 6 2008, 02:38 AM
But how quiet is the S2000 on the highway? Was there a ton of wind noise? I"m talking about a brand new 08 if it makes a difference. Would you say the S2000 is a nice highway cruiser over long distances?
I wouldn't use the word quiet to describe a stock S2000 at all. I mean, you can hold a conversation without too much trouble with the top up at highway speed but there is the engine drone and wind noise. Top down, of course, isn't quiet at all.

The S isn't a GT car but I really enjoyed driving it the 1,000 miles to get it home when I bought it. Intercity road trips in Texas have been great too. If you're looking for a quiet, roomy GT car then you might want to consider some other makes/models.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This car is most definitely NOT quiet. I'd love to use it as a daily driver, but I own it like many do, and that's a fun weekend fair weather car. Highway driving for me personally is downright annoying, and to be honest, POINTLESS for a car like this. I usually take back roads when visiting friends and family, so I can have less noise, and more fun.

Now, I will say, the noise difference between my 01 and my 06 was noticable. The 06 is definitely quieter, but when I get out of my Mazdaspeed 6 , and hop in the S, it takes some adjustment to get used to the noise. After a while, you get used to it, and if it's your only car, you may not even think it's that loud. When I get out of the S and into my Speed 6, I'm like WHAT THE, as I feel like I just got into a Cadillac for both size and noise.

You want a respectably quiet roadster, then you're better off going elsewhere besides the S.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, there is a fact that S2000 noisy car in comparison to other roadster. You can feel wind really good in the cabin starting 50mph top down, and it is a fact that S2000 has not really good drag coefficient, that what makes this car so noisy on high speeds and wind is going through cabin very well.
As far as I remember drag coefficient is around 0.45 at that time competitors have 0.3-0.35 (Miata, Boxters. BMW Zs).
Old 03-06-2008, 06:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It isn't quiet at all, by any stretch. On the highway it's louder than my old SRT-4, which had no mufflers on it from the factory. Like others have said the engine noise and wind noise are very noticeable. If you want quiet buy a Lexus.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The words s2000 and quiet should never be used in the same sentence.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Choungsgay,Mar 6 2008, 06:31 AM
about 76 dB during highway cruise....but seriously I hear a lot more wind noise than engine noise....in fact I don't usually hear the engine at all over the wind noise. For those that wear ear plugs..how do you hear music?
interestingly. Music is better with ear plugs. The plugs I bought reduces more of the noise coming from wind. Seriously, its like driving a Lexus. if I crank my stock stereo to 25 you can here the music, but you won't be able to hold conversations. I guess it depends on the sound frequency. For those who haven't used it, it might be uncomfortable in the beginning. But you'll get used to it. The problem I have is when altitudes changes, it hard to pop your ear.

I was gonna buy an HT for the noise on the freeway. But its 4 grand so I opted for the next best thing. Plugs for 4 bucks.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:21 AM

I was actually impressed at the sound level my 02 has. Having a glass window in the top might aid in this too though. Having owned a miata and a solstice previously, I was very impressed that my car has absolutely no wind noise from around the windows unlike both of them. Wind buffeting off the top fabric itself can be heard but again it was much quieter than in my miata or my solstice. I bought my solstice sight unseen when they first came out and was actually very very disapointed in how much noise the top let in. After previous reliability issues, I sold it with 3k on the odometer. My 85k 02 s2000 is more solid and quieter than the sol ever was. The only other convertible I have driven that was quieter than my s2000 is was my 88 rx7 convertible I had years ago but it had a hard top panel type thing integrated into the portion of the top above your head and also a full insulated headliner. It could actually be removed and used as a targa. I also dont have any water leaks whatsover out of my s2000 top. Cant say that was the case with my new solstice..... can ya tell i didnt like my solstice?
Old 03-06-2008, 11:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I perceive it to be much quieter with the top down, than top up. But if you're on the highway and want to listen to the radio, then top up is the only option above 50 mph.
For me, it's not a good highway cruiser at all. But, it was never intended to be. My hamstrings are killing me after about 2-3 hours.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:08 PM

An s2k is the complete opposite of a quiet if thats what your looking for. I get a ton of windnoise through the front of the soft top, but im sure some hardtop latches can fix that. Engine is also very loud and theres a bunch of random rattles etc.... S2ks are anything but a comfortable daily driver but its a tradeoff you pay for an extremely fun/fast car. I wouldnt trade it for the questest most comfortablest car in the world
Old 03-06-2008, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Downgear,Mar 6 2008, 08:00 AM
The words s2000 and quiet should never be used in the same sentence.
The S2000 is not quiet. There.

Dan

Quick Reply: How quiet is the S2000?