S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How to properly install Spoon's/Mingster's Carbon CAI duct

Old 09-10-2001, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to properly install Spoon's/Mingster's Carbon CAI duct

This is for FAQ use.

1. Remove the air dam cover. There are a set of bolts on top and inside the air dam well (kinda difficult to get to), remove the 8 bolts. The red crossed out area is the general area where you may want to cut - if you prefer to put the air dam cover back.

2. Remove the stock air box inlet

then remove the 2 bolts on the right side of the car, located in the middle grill.

3. GENTLY maneuver the air duct into its position. DO NOT FORCE IT IN! I personally inspect every single one of them before they are shipped for defects, and the duct is HEAVILY padded and pop-corned for shipping. If you force the duct and crack it, there's not much I can do. There's a certain angle at which the duct goes into without being forced, try to maneuver it in different angles. If you're the impatient type, TAKE IT TO A PROFESSIONAL.

Let the duct sit on top of the air box and on the front grill/bumper area

4. Close the top of the air box so that the duct can sit properly. IGNORE THE 2 SLOTS on the inlet duct, it's for "just in case" situations. Make a note of of the 2 bolt positions on the duct (eventhough it is pre-marked, double check to make sure), mark it with something.

5. Remove the air duct again, make note of the bolt positions (they should match the pre-positioned, reinformced parts), and drill 2 small holes, enough for the 2 front girll bolts to go into.

6. Re-position the inlet duct again, close the air box, and secure the bolts with the duct.

Old 09-10-2001, 05:09 PM

Very well explained,
Old 09-10-2001, 06:25 PM
Community Organizer

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally posted by tims2k
Very well explained,
Tim you have no idea how much I needed that just a few hours earlier. Mingster posted this because of my "bitching". I was a pain in the rear but instructions can't be explicite enough! This will definitly help though. The positioning of the air intake is tough and definitly be careful! Getting it inbetween the bumper and the radiator was interesting; fiddle play repositon and slight force made it go in ok.(rocking fore and aft helped it in)

It seems that every car is different and mine was different enough to cause some heart ache. Finally I got it in. To much fiddeling to explain.

Little tip. Flip the U shaped clips over to make it easier to catch the screws easier.
Old 09-11-2001, 01:15 PM
Community Organizer

A thing I was not told of is that there might be some scuffing on the top of the duct from the hood. Hope I can buff that stuff out and put some tape on the hood to keep that from getting worse.
Old 09-11-2001, 01:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pinky
[B]

Tim you have no idea how much I needed that just a few hours earlier. Mingster posted this because of my "bitching". I was a pain in the rear but instructions can't be explicite enough!

Oh I didn't know it was you, Well glad you got it in.
Old 02-27-2002, 05:44 PM

Reviving the thread for the customers in our current GB.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=49115
Old 02-27-2002, 05:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI - this thread will be integrated into the new-faq section within the next week.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:18 AM
Community Organizer

Per scuffing issue. I don't know if others have had the problem at all. I still do. I ended up putting RUBATEX(do a search on it) on the underside of the hood to protect it. Well it did a very good job for a while. Then where I put 2 strips together it started to make them separate. So I will be putting another strip on.

I had a lot of rocks/dirt get stuck under there when I put on my Clogan Bra and moved the hood latch so the hood would close!(to many things keeping it from not closing)

Review after MONTHS of use. I still like it. I think its worth the $$$. It looks very cool. Though it does make your air filter very very dirty a lot quicker!!!! Though that goes to show that its getting fresh unfiltered air that was being blocked by the factory air dam. Oh yes...........little rocks/leaves and such will get stuck in the box and or filter! I take the filter out every now and then and bang it on the ground.(lots of sand falls out )

MINGSTER!!!! Do you still have the cleaning kits for the JR filter. I need one! I put my stock air filter in for the winter with all the rocks and such on the road. Its so cold it will easily compensate for the loss of the paper filter!
Old 02-28-2002, 08:39 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pinky
[B]Per scuffing issue.