S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How much will wheels, new exhaust, and brake help?

Old 06-16-2005, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much will wheels, new exhaust, and brake help?

I've got 18x9/18x8 SSR GT 1's right now with a dual outlet HKS hyper exhaust and stock brakes with aftermarket rotors. If I were to upgrade to SSR competition wheels in 17'', replace my exhaust with a spugen titanium single, and get a wilwood bbk, would I see any legitimate increase in performance? I'm interested in both flat out acceleration and handling. I want something that will put up a better fight against some of the newer imports, and perform better at the autocrosses and track days. I figure the few ponies gained from the exhaust, and the nearly 100 lbs saved should count for something, especially the wheels. What do you think? Tks!

Oh yea, I already removed the Xbox and screens.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:49 PM

Racing school will help much more than the BBK or exhaust. Tires make a huge difference as well. Why not go to 16" Spoon Wheels instead of the SSRs. (said by a huge fan of SSR wheels)
Old 06-16-2005, 04:49 PM

TrophyFodder

Sure those changes will make a difference. If I had to pull a wild-ass guess it would be more or less equivalent to a 15-20hp to what your car feels like now, which is probably slower than a stock car. That includes the weight reduction. Theoretically the greatly reduced unsprung weight from the wheels and the 12" BBK would improve the suspension over bumps and curves.

But if you want to be faster in autoX or a road course, by far the biggest gain is driver training for a typical driver. And be honest with yourself, may be 1% of the drivers are naturally fast. Other than that, first stickiest and widest tires with the SSR Competitions would be the most effective mod (if there are any curves involved). Other than that get what you want.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:46 PM

I agree... skill is by far the most important factor, followed by tire choice. I've got no interest in running R compounds, and i usually run S03's anyhow, so i figure I've got the tire topic covered. As for skill, I race with and have many friends who have attended pleny of different driving schools. I don't claim to be a great driver, but I have the fundamentals. My biggest problem is not being smooth with the wheel, I guess you could say I need to slow my mind down some and "race with grace". I'll probably end up going for the wheels. The exhaust was just a nice thought..... i figured maybe the extra weight and rwhp would be noticeable..... guess not. The bbk was just a pipe dream